Question "Display" keeps switching to integrated graphics on Laptop?

Para-Medic

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
Hey guys, wondering if anyone would know how to fix this? I have an Gigabyte Aorus 17x 4080 laptop.

For some strange reason, my display settings keep getting reverted when I restart my computer.
Example: Under System > Display, it shows I have 2 displays, and under Advanced graphics, it keeps going back to Display 1: Internal (Intel's integrated). I'm setting it to "show only on 2" which Display2 is the 4080.

I have to manually switch it to Display 2 which is the 4080. I've tried "merging" the two - when I restart my computer it just goes back to default Display 1 internal. I disabled the Intel integrated graphics in device manager, and then "Microsoft basic display adapter" takes its place. I've reinstalled drivers and everything. I've went into NVIDIA Control Panel and made it prioritize the 4080 gpu.

Is there something corrupted? Is this how it's supposed to work??

Thanks for reading.

Para-Medic

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
That’s the Advanced Optimus feature doing its thing. It’s intentional.

Have a look at the 11:53 mark on Jarrod’s Tech review to see more about it - as well as the mux switch option in BIOS.

Cheers, out of curiosity I went to the BIOS and switched it to "Discrete", but upon restart it just defaults back to "Dynamic", and under Display settings I only see Display 1 which is Intel integrated :\

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Try going to Task Manager (right click on the taskbar), then click on the 'performance' tab. You'll see the 'GPU' activity graphs (most likely "GPU 0" and "GPU 1"). Jiggle the mouse around or watch a YouTube video in the background, and see which GPU shows activity. If the mux switch is working properly then only the 4080 graph should have activity.

Para-Medic

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
Yeah it seems to have activity in the 4080 when I launched a game under task manager. When I tab out there's some activity on the Integrated one.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I don't have direct experience with your laptop model, but AFAIK there's always going to be some level of activity in the iGPU as Optimus has to drive the data through it when using the built-in screen. Attaching an external monitor via HDMI or DisplayPort should (but not always) bypass the iGPU.

(I have a Gigabyte Aero 5 and don't have the luxury of a mux switch :( )

Para-Medic

Reputable
Aug 27, 2020
I don't have direct experience with your laptop model, but AFAIK there's always going to be some level of activity in the iGPU as Optimus has to drive the data through it when using the built-in screen. Attaching an external monitor via HDMI or DisplayPort should (but not always) bypass the iGPU.

(I have a Gigabyte Aero 5 and don't have the luxury of a mux switch :( )

Thanks for the replies! It seems everything is working as intended?
One question though, any reason why Display 2 no longer showing in the display settings under advanced graphics? It just shows Display 1: Internal Display - Intel UHD Graphics, earlier it had Display1 and 2, with 2 being the 4080.