Question Do I need Hypex RAM if I don't plan to overclock ?

nofacemonster

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I am planning on upgrading my systems RAM from DDR3 8GB to DDR3 16GB. I am going to buy 4 sticks for the recently bought motherboard. Currently it is running on old RAM which i salvaged from my older computer. The Asus H97-PRO motherboard specs says it supports high speeds, 1833 and higher.

* I am NOT going to overclock anything on my system. But i do play stuff like Doom Eternal, and some recently released boomer shooters, They run fine even with current setup.

my question is:

Do I need to buy Hypex RAM or will I be alright with stuff like Corsair value RAM?

* No overclocking but i do play games (never exceeds 1080p resolution)

D

Deleted member 1890814

is long the motherboard support the ram you will be fine.
go to your motherboard site and see the qvl file that show the supported ram.

Reactions: nofacemonster
I am planning on upgrading my systems memory. From DDR3 8GB to DDR 16GB. I am going to buy 4 chips for the recently bought motherboard. Currently it is running on old RAM which i salvaged from my older computer. The Asus H97PRO motherboard says it supports high speeds, 1833 and higher.

* I am NOT going to overclock anything on my system. But i do play stuff like Doom eternal, and some recently released boomer shooters, They run fine even with current setup.

my question is

Do I need to by Hypex? or ill be alright with stuff like corsair value ram?

* No overclocking but i do play games (never exceeds 1080p resolution)
Provide a link that shows 1833 and higher ram speed.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
It's DDR3, so you're honestly better off saving up for a more modern platform, but if that's not realistically possible it really doesn't matter. Your CPU and GPU are going to be an issue with modern workloads long before the speed of RAM figures in, and moving from 8 to 16GB should help if you were RAM limited.

Given you're saying everything runs fine as is, though, I doubt you'll see any difference at all.

Last edited:
HyperX is Kingston brand. it doesn't imply anything else including performance.
DDR3 starts usually at 1066MHz and ranges to about 2400MHz,They are all according to JEDEC standards while some also have XMP to help BIOS in overclocking which technically is any frequency above base.

Last edited:

nofacemonster

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
It's DDR3, so you're honestly better off saving up for a more modern platform, but if that's not realistically possible it really doesn't matter. Your CPU and GPU are going to be an issue with modern workloads long before the speed of RAM figures in, and moving from 8 to 16GB should help if you were RAM limited.

Given you're saying everything runs fine as is, though, I doubt you'll see any difference at all.
Thank you. Yes, I will be holding on to this system for a while because we are not really running anything modern or up and coming, Besides all the games i play stay 1080 or below and there are few titles that me and my daughter might play. Even my older GEN2 system was enough for us until I wanted to play doom eternal and she wanted play stray lol, so we ordered a cheap graphics card off the aliexpress and that thing is PCI 3.0, so we decided on finding a system that makes most of the card.

Currently my computer runs on three rams, two are from some unknown brands and one is a corsair 4GB. all together it is 12GB and one slot remains, i guess instead of spending more, The person who gave me the Corsair has another like this, so adding another makes it 16GB and I guess that's good enough.

Thanks a lot for the input.

Reactions: kira-faye

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Currently my computer runs on three rams, two are from some unknown brands and one is a corsair 4GB. all together it is 12GB and one slot remains, i guess instead of spending more, The person who gave me the Corsair has another like this, so adding another makes it 16GB and I guess that's good enough.

Thanks a lot for the input.
Yes, going to 4 sticks, hopefully will also put you back in dual/quad channel (I don't recall the specifics of that generation on the AMD side of things but it doesn't really matter) which means a significant improvement in RAM bandwidth. That's the way to go.

You may want to try pulling everything but the two Corsair sticks (once you have another of course) to see if things feel snappier letting it run at full speed, as I suspect the mixed RAM situation right now also means they're running lower speed than they could be. Basically, pull the other two mismatched sticks, go in the BIOS and make sure XMP or its equivalent is set correctly, reboot and try a more resource intensive game. You may notice better frame rates, especially the lows may be improved. Or it could make no difference! But worth trying.

Yes, going to 4 sticks, hopefully will also put you back in dual/quad channel (I don't recall the specifics of that generation on the AMD side of things
Asus H97PRO is Intel desktop class board.
Quad channel is available only on High End Enthusiast or Server class systems.

HyperX is Kingston brand. it doesn't imply anything else including performance.
Kingston HyperX ram modules usually have heatsinks on them.
That's the main difference compared to regular value ram.

nofacemonster

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, going to 4 sticks, hopefully will also put you back in dual/quad channel (I don't recall the specifics of that generation on the AMD side of things but it doesn't really matter) which means a significant improvement in RAM bandwidth. That's the way to go.

You may want to try pulling everything but the two Corsair sticks (once you have another of course) to see if things feel snappier letting it run at full speed, as I suspect the mixed RAM situation right now also means they're running lower speed than they could be. Basically, pull the other two mismatched sticks, go in the BIOS and make sure XMP or its equivalent is set correctly, reboot and try a more resource intensive game. You may notice better frame rates, especially the lows may be improved. Or it could make no difference! But worth trying.
Talking about this XMP feature, It is disabled in the bios. I tried to enable it but there is no option to do so. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

nofacemonster

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Asus H97PRO is Intel desktop class board.
Quad channel is available only on High End Enthusiast or Server class systems.

Kingston HyperX ram modules usually have heatsinks on them.
That's the main difference compared to regular value ram.
Thanks for the info, This saves a lot of time on searching for the info.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Talking about this XMP feature, It is disabled in the bios. I tried to enable it but there is no option to do so. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Usually you select an XMP profile. If it's disabled your RAM is running standard speed (very slow, comparatively). Look in your motherboard's manual for how to enable it.

May not work since you have mismatched sticks.