Question EKSA E900 PRO headphone static noise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Hello, I use the headphone EKSA E900 PRO.

I hear static sound whenever anything is playing. Even if it is a windows operating system prompt sound, with that, I hear a static sound with it.

If I unplug the usb C cable on the headphone and re-plug it in, then, for a few minutes, the static sound is gone. Then after a few minutes, it comes back.

This issue exists apparently in both 2.0 and 7.1 surround sound modes.

For the first 2 months of the headphone usage on the same system and other parts, there was no issue. All, everything same. It has been happening more frequently in the last 2 weeks :( Been only using this for 2.5 months :(

Could someone advice why this is the case?

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wait! I should have spotted this sooner. Two items to consider.

1. The headset has a microphone. If that Mic is turned ON, you will pick up a bit of noise, of course. Do you turn it Off when not using it?

2. There are two major types of connection systems for headsets. Look closely at the tip of the jack on the end of your headset. It has FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve. Usually called TRRS. This system is used by Apple and common in high-end headsets like yours. But standard computer cases and rear panel sockets use a simpler and different system with only ONE ring in it: Tip, Ring, Sleeve, or TRS. In this computer system there are TWO sockets and TWO plugs on the end of the headset cord. One of them is for the earphones and plugs into a front or rear socket usually colour-coded Light Green. The other is for the Mic and plugs into sockets coded pink. Although you CAN fit the TRRS Jack into a TRS socket (they both are 3.5 mm diameter) it makes the wrong connections. What you need is an adapter that splits the wires in a 4-contact TRRS jack into two short cables with the three-contact TRS system. Those two jacks plug into the two sockets on a computer front or back panel.

An example

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headp...49617&sprefix=TRRS+Adapter,aps,94&sr=8-9&th=1

By the way, that page shows you that there are TWO sub-versions of this TRRS system, and this adapter works for only one of them, the one called CTIA. That is the most common version in use now.

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Wait! I should have spotted this sooner. Two items to consider.

1. The headset has a microphone. If that Mic is turned ON, you will pick up a bit of noise, of course. Do you turn it Off when not using it?

2. There are two major types of connection systems for headsets. Look closely at the tip of the jack on the end of your headset. It has FOUR contacts: Tip, Ring1, Ring2, and Sleeve. Usually called TRRS. This system is used by Apple and common in high-end headsets like yours. But standard computer cases and rear panel sockets use a simpler and different system with only ONE ring in it: Tip, Ring, Sleeve, or TRS. In this computer system there are TWO sockets and TWO plugs on the end of the headset cord. One of them is for the earphones and plugs into a front or rear socket usually colour-coded Light Green. The other is for the Mic and plugs into sockets coded pink. Although you CAN fit the TRRS Jack into a TRS socket (they both are 3.5 mm diameter) it makes the wrong connections. What you need is an adapter that splits the wires in a 4-contact TRRS jack into two short cables with the three-contact TRS system. Those two jacks plug into the two sockets on a computer front or back panel.

An example

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Headset/dp/B071NDLCGC/ref=sr_1_9?crid=37EQQZBFPTIFA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.HEtFyM6DVJwfR_vSs7CfogmnDemtpayolrx46omRV5KVwTzid5MNjviF9BQV4WOugrFNk2FdcQC7DJ3BESpuG2FnNeozLx08Evws4_3bT308zwwuJ5xKDQ27FAOGk5hObr6CL_Gk9nPchuoQyhEIwGsdb_TqpKDv5HHx0wyTSy5U24Uszuey4flPi69CEMPpu4v8RZccbitYbYGkAq80kCd45jhajWCcspatlxxyAyQ.bLYt0mb2SiOf5AN-uaxnlWvIEsDbg2T2SkcH3hDDvY4&dib_tag=se&keywords=trrs+adapter+3.5mm&qid=1714749617&sprefix=TRRS+Adapter,aps,94&sr=8-9&th=1

By the way, that page shows you that there are TWO sub-versions of this TRRS system, and this adapter works for only one of them, the one called CTIA. That is the most common version in use now.
Hi, I've only used it so far using the USB 2.0 (PC) to USB-C (headphone) cable. Really didn't care about the 3.5mm connection cable which needs the motherboard 3.5mm port but also needs the same UCB-C port on the headphone. I can only use one at a time. The 3.5mm port however does not allow me 7.1 Surround sound.

I always kept my mic OFF. Never actually used the MIC. The MIC cable is a detachable 3.5mm connection. There's also a button on the headphone to mute or unute the mic and in both cases there is noise.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm beginning to understand some obscure details here. IF you use the cable to connect that headset to a front panel 3.5 mm socket the sound sent out is in analog format for two channels, and it comes from the mobo audio chip. Alternatively (and this is how you are using it), IF you connect to a rear panel USB2 Type A socket, the signals sent out come from a USB chip that sends out only DIGITAL signals, and CAN send multiple channels' signals. Those signals are converted to analog signals to drive the speakers in the headset for 7.1 channel sound. This means that the two different ways to make that connection provide to the headset two entirely DIFFERENT signal types. It also means that when you use the USB port connection system the conversion to analog and amplifier system involved is a different one - one that is INSIDE the headset, not on your mobo. That is why the USB connection system can give you 7.1 channel sound - the A/D conversion and multi-channel amplifiers for that are built into the headset.

So the source of the noise might be in the signal cable or its connectors OR in the headset's built-in audio processors. Changing the cable can only affect the first cause. Even that step is difficult - you say the maker will not help. But if the problem is in faulty components inside the headset, then only a complete replacement under warranty will solve that.

This is an odd and UNlikely idea if the problem happens to be caused by a third mechanism. This is NOT suggested by the info on the headset web pages. But what if the system CAN actually use a connection to a USB 3.2 port at the much higher data transfer rates of such a port? To do that the cable would need to be different (not very obvious to see) AND the software driver would need to be capable of using that port. But you could try it. At your back panel, move the USB2 cable Type A plug from a USB2 port to one of the ports labelled "USB 3.1 Gen1 Type A" below the LAN port. You might have to un-install and then re-install the headset driver software to let it find the new route to that headset. And it might still NOT work if the driver cannot use a USB3 controller and port. Further, if the headset truly is ONLY able to work as a USB2 device, doing this will NOT allow it to use the faster data transfer speeds of USB3 and it will make no difference.

My best guess is that the components inside the headset are the problem and this is a warranty issue. You report that the seller said they have had several similar problems among other customers, so that indicates this is the real cause.