Question Enabing XMP causes BSODs ?

May 17, 2024
Hello, I recently wanted to do a little upgrade on my pc (waiting for the day I can fully upgrade it) but I can't understand a thing...

So, I currently have 16GB DDR4 RAM (3600MHz) locked to 2666MHz, I can't enable XMP because it just causes BSODs.

These are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

My mobo can handle 3600MHz but I know my cpu can't, so the RAM upgrade i want to do is this:
32GB @ 3200MHz.

The question at this point is: will my cpu handle it with xmp active?
Thanks in advance. Have a great day!

Dec 31, 2023
Short answer, no.

Long answer:
R5 2600 specs

2933 is the fastest speed officially supported, and though it does not state as such, with four sticks of RAM it will be lower.

Do not sweat it; the benefits of faster RAM for single CCD Ryzen (read x600 and x700 chips) is largely overstated.

Reactions: zWinchest3r
May 17, 2024
Short answer, no.

Long answer:
R5 2600 specs

2933 is the fastest speed officially supported, and though it does not state as such, with four sticks of RAM it will be lower.

Do not sweat it; the benefits of faster RAM for single CCD Ryzen (read x600 and x700 chips) is largely overstated.
And if it was just 2 sticks of ram? Would it change anything?
Also, what if I stay with the 16GB?
Sorry if these are kinda stupid questions but I'm looking for answers everywhere and I was reading that it's common to use higher speeds even if the official supported is 2933.
Thanks for replying btw!!

Dec 31, 2023
And if it was just 2 sticks of ram? Would it change anything?
Also, what if I stay with the 16GB?
Sorry if these are kinda stupid questions but I'm looking for answers everywhere and I was reading that it's common to use higher speeds even if the official supported is 2933.
Thanks for replying btw!
What AMD is saying is that if you wanna run your RAM out of spec you can, but don't come crying to us if it goes pear shaped. As such, it's anybody's guess if you will be able to get 3200 to run stably, but you will have a better chance with only two of the memory slots populated. In any case, more RAM is almost always better than faster RAM.

As you can see I run mixed RAM at only 2133. With two sticks it ran at 3200, but to be honest, I didn't notice any difference outside of synthetic benchmarks. Oh, and that running an XMP profile increased idle power consumption.

Reactions: zWinchest3r