News Enthusiast demos installing Alpine Linux with the Windows Installer

May 3, 2024
Alpine isn't really a desktop distro, it's targeted more towards non-tiny embedded and server environments. Still a fun experiment I'm sure.
Hi, Alpine user here. I found quite funny this thing of installing it from Windows install 😂.
Long before Alpine was really not good on desktop but recently its much easier to install and use (for me it's the easiest linux distro). I'm using it on my main pc, laptop and minipc I am using as home server with intel and amd hardwares.

Reactions: JamesJones44
May 5, 2024
Hi, Alpine user here. I found quite funny this thing of installing it from Windows install 😂.
Long before Alpine was really not good on desktop but recently its much easier to install and use (for me it's the easiest linux distro). I'm using it on my main pc, laptop and minipc I am using as home server with intel and amd hardwares.
I have distrohopped multiple times but never used Alpine till now. On a scale from Ubuntu to Gentoo, how hard would you say the learning curve for Alpine is?

Reactions: cassiofernando
May 3, 2024
I have distrohopped multiple times but never used Alpine till now. On a scale from Ubuntu to Gentoo, how hard would you say the learning curve for Alpine is?
Well, it's much more easier than Gentoo. Alpine installer supports disk encryption and multiples DEs, if you want just the basic it's really easy.

If you want to setup bluetooth and wifi you will need to check Alpine wiki to see what the packages you need to install, Alpine only has the minimal packages to get things working (a example is when you select to install KDE it doesn't even have dolphin file manager).