News Enthusiast mods a 512GB QLC SSD into a 120GB SLC SSD — endurance and performance benefits charted

Jan 24, 2024
I'd be immensely sceptical of 'endurance' figures generated by projecting P/E cycles rather than from actual accelerated wear testing.
it was just an estimative. Real world endurance could be lower because of WAF and the pSLC endurance is hardly close to its maxium in these lower endurance dies.

Jan 24, 2024
Find a modern, new SLC SSD drive for us, please.
Kioxia FL6 uses XL-Flash Gen2 which is Native SLC, not a QLC or TLC in pSLC mode, that XL-Flash is native SLC using a 256Gb die in 96-LAyers with 16 Planes.

Also, Solidigm has many drives using the Intel N38A 144-Layers QLC 1Tb running in pSLC mode as 256Gb SLC like in the D7-P5810

Reactions: slightnitpick

Amdlova

Distinguished
You can find Cheap 22110 drivers mixed loads on ebay with some pushing over 3Pb of endurance
got one Toshiba XD5 1.92tb 85us! and another 7us for a 22110 heatsink. the ssd is brand new :)

slightnitpick

Proper
Nov 2, 2023
You can find Cheap 22110 drivers mixed loads on ebay with some pushing over 3Pb of endurance
got one Toshiba XD5 1.92tb 85us! and another 7us for a 22110 heatsink. the ssd is brand new :)
3PB on a 1.92 TB SSD is on the order of just over 1500 P/E cycles, or between typical TLC and QLC published endurance. The point of this experiment was partially to get better endurance than that.

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
Being a Crucial drive, I'd be more worried about non-NAND components dying way before you ever get anywhere near the wear life of the NAND.

In my experience with Crucial drives, they seem to die randomly when put in 24-7 usage. Does not even need to have high load/usage. It can be just sitting idle, and will die. Capacitors seem to be the biggest issue, but out of a batch of 200 Crucial SSDs, we have a good 30% of them fail this way in 6-10 months of usage. Caused a huge issue at the MSP I was working at at the time.

But then again, I suppose this could affect any of them.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you go through electronics suppliers you can still order SLC drives. They aren't large, and they aren't fast, but for mission critical reliability (some are rated for quite a wide temperature range) they are still out there. Not cheap though.

Reactions: slightnitpick

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
It would be great to use such a thing as a cache or scratch drive to your nas with HDDs when you have a high utilisation.. ..

It's what the intel SLC drives are being used for
As far as I’m concerned SSDs have gotten cheap enough to just store everything on NAND instead of HDDs with sort of NAND based caching like you’re implying.