Question External gpu priority over integrated gpu

armor555

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Hello. I have external gpu nvidia gt 710 and integrated one in the cpu intel i5 6600. In the bios the priority gpu is nvidia. In this case, is expected when I connect the monitor to the integrated gpu and turn the pc on, to see a "no signal message" and hear no beep sound, indicating a successful boot?

Oct 14, 2023
Hello @armor555,

I hope you are well. I am @Vikko151, and despite I am a little bit new in Tom's Hardware, I can still help you of course.

So, as what you said in your message, you want to use the GT 710 and the Intel HD Graphics 530 at the same time, isn't it? Of course, if there's a problem, there's always a solution. Here are two options to fix your problem:

1. Use the dedicated GPU: If you want to use the GT 710 to display the content on your screen, then, like @rgd1101 said, all you have to do is to plug your display cable into the GPU's input. It's the display input(s) at the bottom of your computer. By this way, you can use the dedicated GPU for your display.

2. Re-enable your integrated graphics: In some scenarios, you might want to use the Intel HD Graphics 530 for your display. Hopefully, it's not dead. The problem is, your BIOS probably disabled the integrated graphics since you connected a dedicated GPU. To know how to enable your iGPU (Diminutive of integrated GPU), you'll have to connect your display cable to your dedicated GPU and to find the setting in the BIOS that allows you to switch between the iGPU, the dedicated GPU or both. This can be found in your motherboard's manual or in your computer's manual if you bought it from Lenovo, Medion, HP, etc... You'll be then able to use both GPUs if you set this on the correct settings.

Before ending, I just want to say, like @rgd1101 told you, an external GPU and a dedicated GPU are both different things. In your scenario, this is a dedicated GPU. An external GPU is a dedicated GPU that has been put in an external box (That's why it's called like this), allowing you to use a GPU on a laptop for example. While it looks really cool, this is something very expensive, and with a good GPU, this becomes quickly very expensive...

I hope I helped you in your problem. If you got any question, don't hesitate to tell us what's wrong. You can trust Tom's Hardware.

@Vikko151

armor555

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
I'm sorry, dedicated is the correct pronounce. I don't have an option to switch between them in bios, only a priority list. I removed the dedicated gpu from its slot and the computer starts fine. So, the story from my previous post is expected?