Question Game crashing, only clue is WHEA-Logger in System Log ?

May 8, 2024
Hello all,

I have a PC I built a few months ago that I'm trying to play Horizon: Forbidden West on, but while I can get to the main menu, if I try to start a new game, the application crashes to the desktop.

In the system log, I have three logs under WHEA-Logger for "Corrected Hardware Error" being reported by the processor core:
Translation Lookaside Buffer Error (Processor APIC ID 16)​
Internal Parity Error (Processor APIC ID 16)​
Cache Hierarchy Error (Processor APIC ID 16)​
Initially, this PC was purchased as a prebuilt back in 2019, but I have since replaced all components. The current specs are as follows:
Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite X Ice Motherboard​
BIOS version F4h​
Intel Core i9 14900k​
Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti​
64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5​
2x32GB modules​
6600MT/s, although the BIOS states 4800MT/s​
Not using XMP​
DIMM slots 2 & 4​
Windows 10 Home v.22H2​
Build 19045.4291​
Service pack 1000.19056.1000.0​

I have tried:
Updating the BIOS from version F2 to F4h​
Verifying my drivers are up to date​
Performing a memtest86 test​
Enabling XMP​
Using DIMM slots 1 & 3 (computer will not post)​
Setting shader cache to 10GB in NVIDIA Control Panel​
Verifying integrity of game files in Steam​
I'm honestly at a loss for what the issue might be. All other games run without issue. Judging by reviews on Steam, I don't see anyone having the same issue, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might resolve this?

Lutfij

Titan
Updating the BIOS from version F2 to F4h
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-ICE/support#support-childModelsMenu
regardless of which PCB revision you look at, I don't see BIOS version F4h, listed which would mean they pulled it due to stability concerns. Try and reflash the BIOS to version F3, clear the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

May 8, 2024
That is quite unusual that the BIOS version F4h is gone, as I downloaded it and flashed it the day I made this initial post. They must have JUST remove it. I will try rolling back and seeing what happens.

I will also point out that it was suggested to disable DLSS. I did so, and while I WAS able to play the game, it is still extremely unstable, and at best, will function for a period of time before crashing, anywhere from ten minutes to a couple hours, and at worst, will blue screen my PC (albeit without an actual blue screen. Just an immediate shutdown and restart.

May 8, 2024
An update. Still no resolution, although I did attempt to run benchmarks through both Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility, as well as through 3DMark. Both failed to complete the CPU test on default stock settings, and occasionally would blue screen my PC. I'm starting to think I may need to RMA my CPU.