Question GFCI Faults when Ground touches PSU

May 13, 2024
As soon as I start to plug in, the ground touches first. And in that instance, the GFCI trips (20-amp breaker)

I also noticed an issue at my nephews, who owns the PC. This is a brand-new PC build. His bedroom is only a 15amp breaker. Haven't even got windows installed yet.
Any ideas on this? I brought it to Microcenter because it was freaking me out. They had no issues. If I plug it into a regular outlet, it doesn't trip anything (normal 20-amp breaker). I get it to power on, but I think when I bring it to his house (older home) it is going to trip again.

Would this indicate a bad PSU? My home is less than 15 years old, good wiring. No issues before this PC. I use this same plug for my PC. When I plugged in my nephew's PC, my PC was off so there wasn't an extremely high load on the GFCI.

Thank you, I'm desperate because it's a 2+ hour drive to Microcenter, and I've already done it twice. Once to buy all the components with him (he really wanted to go and buy them vs online purchase, grrrr) and a second to finish the build as I feared I could destroy a component.

The build...
  • TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200
    • MOBO, CPU, Ram combo purchase.
  • Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 59.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card
  • Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
  • MAG A750GL PCIE5 PSU
Thanks in advance for your help.
Drew

EDIT: Second question (sorry!)

Trying to install Windows 11 now but it says it is not compatible. I'm beyond confused with this PC. I created a USB boot disk, same way I did my PC in Jan 2023. His has to be compatibly. 1, they sold me these parts knowing we were building a windows 11 build, and 2 they're all new parts!? I've build 6 over the last 20 years. Never had a single issue. This has been nothing but issues. I may just have to call them today I guess.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024
To be clear, are you talking about one GFCI outlet OR two at two locations?

If one, it could just be a faulty outlet. Those don't necessarily last forever.
One GFCI, my home. Trips. Maybe it is faulty. I was wondering that too.

My nephew has a regular outlet in his bedroom but the breaker is only 15-amps that also was tripping. I haven't tried it since microcenter finished the build.

My concern is they misdiagnosed something but maybe it is just my GFCI. I just find it weird that if my PC is plug in, it does not trip. If I plug his in, and by plug in I mean touch the ground to the GFCI ground, it trips. My PC doesn't have any issue. Both PCs are 750W PSU. I would think if one tripped it, the other would as well.

I just added a second question: Trying to install Windows 11 now but it says it is not compatible. I'm beyond confused with this PC. I created a USB boot disk, same way I did my PC in Jan 2023. His has to be compatibly. 1, they sold me these parts knowing we were building a windows 11 build, and 2 they're all new parts!? I've build 6 over the last 20 years. Never had a single issue. This has been nothing but issues. I may just have to call them today I guess.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See here for a tutorial to install Win 11:

Try swapping the power cables from your PC to his (the cable attaching the PSU to the outlet). Any difference?

May 13, 2024
See here for a tutorial to install Win 11:

Try swapping the power cables from your PC to his (the cable attaching the PSU to the outlet). Any difference?
It trips on both power cables.

COLGeek

Cybernaut