Question Good OC Artifact scanner?

May 9, 2024
I overclocked my RTX 4070 using MSI Afterburner and checked stability with MSI Kombustor.
The issue is that the stability test doesn't fit real-world performance. In games, the card uses 1.1 V, boots to 3045 MHz at the current overclock and reaches 98-99% usage.
With MSI Kombustor I either reach 98-99% usage and stay below 1.1 V and 3000 Mhz or reach the 1.1 V and 3045 MHz but my GPU usage is around 70-80%.
When using the Artifact scanner I don't get any artifacts but when I run a game or Heaven Benchmark I notice some artifacts.
The problem is that it's hard to notice the point at which they drop to zero in those applications.
I know that a single test isn't ideal but I tried EVGA OC Scanner X and OCCT and neither of those showed artifacts/ compute errors cause they didn't hit max performance either.
OCCT even ran the card as low as 0.91 V. Are there some setting adjustments I can do to hit max performance in any of those programs or is there an OC Artifact scanner that either hits max performance or can be run in addition to a game or Heaven Benchmark?
I try to squeeze every last bit of performance out of that card as I won't be able to upgrade for a few years because I still attend university.
My previous PC had a GTX 970 in it and I could only afford the current upgrade cause I bought the PC used at 40% off (once my old one is sold possibly more than 50%) and saved up a couple of years for it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Artifact scanner I don't get any artifacts but when I run a game or Heaven Benchmark I notice some artifacts

I try to squeeze every last bit of performance out of that card as I won't be able to upgrade for a few years because I still attend university
That doesn't add up. You need it to last then just run it at factory specks.
Usually very little to gain overclocking a video card not really enough to bother.
If you could get 10% and were getting 100FPS then you get 110.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88 and PEnns
May 9, 2024
That doesn't add up. You need it to last then just run it at factory specks.
Usually very little to gain overclocking a video card not really enough to bother.
If you could get 10% and were getting 100FPS then you get 110.
I overclocked my last GPU a 970 as soon as I got it and that thing hasn't failed yet even though it's over 9 years old.
Since I'm also planning to undervolt the 4070 I should run into even fewer problems.
The main things that kill components are heat and voltage.
If the cooler can keep the components below 80°C at maximum load then you would only run into trouble if that component is at that load for an extended period.
Since I don't plan to use my GPU for Cyptomining and enable Vsinc on my 75 Hz monitor it should take some time before I hit maximum load. Even 10% more performance will extend the time before I drop below 60 fps which might let me skip a full generation or wait for used cards on the market.

Last edited: