Question GPU fan seized up, it doesn't even spin when tapped with finger ?

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
My EVGA 3070ti had a fan seize up today. It started making a funny noise that I didn't immediately notice because of my headphones. I went to the BIOS and checked all of the case fans one at a time, and then I used the EVGA overclocking software to test each GPU fan. I narrowed the problem down to GPU fan 1. All other fans were operating normally and silently.

I took out the card and checked for obstructions. None were visible so I gave it some compressed air. After that the fan seized up completely. It doesn't even spin when I tap it lightly with my finger.

On Monday when the shops open I'm going to get a quote to replace the fan, and compare that to the cost of replacing it myself (none of the screwdrivers I currently own fit the screws on the GPU shroud). I also put in a support ticket with EVGA just to see what they say.

The reason I'm bringing it up here is to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm assuming I just got unlucky and received a fan that was destined to fail sooner rather than later. Am I right to assume this or could there be something else at play here? Also if anyone knows of any repair tips short of replacing the fan I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention I've used the GPU without incident for a hair over two years.

Last edited:
My EVGA 3070ti had a fan seize up today. It started making a funny noise that I didn't immediately notice because of my headphones. I went to the BIOS and checked all of the case fans one at a time, and then I used the EVGA overclocking software to test each GPU fan. I narrowed the problem down to GPU fan 1. All other fans were operating normally and silently.

I took out the card and checked for obstructions. None were visible so I gave it some compressed air. After that the fan seized up completely. It doesn't even spin when I tap it lightly with my finger.

On Monday when the shops open I'm going to get a quote to replace the fan, and compare that to the cost of replacing it myself (none of the screwdrivers I currently own fit the screws on the GPU shroud). I also put in a support ticket with EVGA just to see what they say.

The reason I'm bringing it up here is to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm assuming I just got unlucky and received a fan that was destined to fail sooner rather than later. Am I right to assume this or could there be something else at play here? Also if anyone knows of any repair tips short of replacing the fan I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention I've used the GPU without incident for a hair over two years.
Check power connection to it. Can you feel resistance when you turn it with your finger ?

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Check power connection to it. Can you feel resistance when you turn it with your finger ?
Power connections are secure, and that’s correct when I tap the fan with my finger it’s completely seized up. It doesn’t move at all with a light tap.

For reference the same tap on the other two fans will send them spinning freely.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015

Thanks!

Replace fan. Mechanical parts like fans fail. It happens.

Reactions: Red1917

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Turns out I probably do have the right screw bits after all. I’m going to try some 3 in 1 oil and if that doesn’t work I’ll order a replacement fan.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Just documenting this for anyone who has a similar issue in the future.

I removed the GPU shroud and the faulty fan without issue (I did have the right screw bit after all), however the fans on my card did not have oil reservoirs under the sticker on the backplate.

Since the fan was shot anyway I attempted to add a drop of oil in the gap between the blade assembly and the motor itself which unsurprisingly did nothing.

I'm currently using the GPU without the faulty fan for light tasks while I wait for the replacement to arrive. I wanted to get it out of there anyways because I didn't want it generating heat if it tried to run while stuck.

If anyone's curious this is the fan I've ordered: https://www.amazon.com/PLA09215S12H...ing/dp/B0BMFLHZKC/ref=asc_df_B0BMFKP1LX/?th=1

Just documenting this for anyone who has a similar issue in the future.

I removed the GPU shroud and the faulty fan without issue (I did have the right screw bit after all), however the fans on my card did not have oil reservoirs under the sticker on the backplate.

Since the fan was shot anyway I attempted to add a drop of oil in the gap between the blade assembly and the motor itself which unsurprisingly did nothing.

I'm currently using the GPU without the faulty fan for light tasks while I wait for the replacement to arrive. I wanted to get it out of there anyways because I didn't want it generating heat if it tried to run while stuck.

If anyone's curious this is the fan I've ordered: https://www.amazon.com/PLA09215S12H...ing/dp/B0BMFLHZKC/ref=asc_df_B0BMFKP1LX/?th=1
Manufacturers stopped providing plugs behind bearings long time ago, specially for such small fans, Only option is to use a hot needle to make small hole in plastic and squeeze a drop of oil. Other possibility to pull fan of the shaft which is affixed to the base and has very small o-ring to hold it from falling out.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Manufacturers stopped providing plugs behind bearings long time ago, specially for such small fans, Only option is to use a hot needle to make small hole in plastic and squeeze a drop of oil. Other possibility to pull fan of the shaft which is affixed to the base and has very small o-ring to hold it from falling out.
It's a real shame too. Having the option to maintain something that way gives it a bit more life and reduces waste. Regardless the new fan should arrive today. I'll post a final update after it's all said and done.

I still haven't heard back from EVGA, but unless they offer to send me a free fan this process has been much more convenient than shipping the card off to them so far.

Reactions: CountMike

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It's a real shame too. Having the option to maintain something that way gives it a bit more life and reduces waste. Regardless the new fan should arrive today. I'll post a final update after it's all said and done.

I still haven't heard back from EVGA, but unless they offer to send me a free fan this process has been much more convenient than shipping the card off to them so far.
You probably seized the bearing/sleeve up with high revolution when you used the air compressor on it. Always hold the fan blades still when you do that.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
You probably seized the bearing/sleeve up with high revolution when you used the air compressor on it. Always hold the fan blades still when you do that.
I always hold fans still when I'm using compressed air on them directly, and it began showing resistance before I tried cleaning it, but I'm not discounting that the compressed air did something to it because it seized up completely after I treated it with the air.

Red1917

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
I got the new fan installed, and thermals are as expected under heavy load. The replacement fan appears to be identical to the OEM part as far as I can tell.

I also heard back from EVGA. They offered to mail me a new fan, or accept delivery of the card to repair it themselves. They confirmed that performing this sort of repair yourself doesn't void their warranty.