Question gpu hotspot temperature reaches 110c. is it normal?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, my os- win11, MOBO-Gigabyte B650M DS3H, bios version FA5c,cpu ryzen5 7600, Ram - Acer Predator Vesta II 30-38-38-76 6000MHz 16gbX2, gpu - Asrock AMD rx 7800xt challenger oc

during gpu heavy gaming on full load and on stock setting,, my gpu hotspot temperature reaches 110c though gpu regular temp stays at 72c (my room temp is 34c and gpu fans are on full speed and with cabinet's side panel opened, gpu hotspot only reaching 92c and my regular gpu temp only 57c though). is it normal? or this temp harming my gpu? upto how much temp is normal on full load? open case or not, the difference between gpu regular temp and hot spot temp core-hotspot delta is like 35-40c under full load, is it not too much ? should i RMA my gpu?
btw during RMA is it possible that i pay them extra cost to give me a new RX 7900 gre instead rx 7800 xt?

Last edited:
Solution
That's the ol' Cooler Master HAF X.

open case or not, the difference between gpu regular temp and hot spot temp core-hotspot delta is like 35-40c under full load, is it not too much ? Should i RMA?
That's WAY too high. Around 20C or lower is typical for that gap.
Let them deal with the card first.
Apr 19, 2024
In heavy gaming sessions as you mentioned, you can easy reach that temps.
I suggest to search the specs of your card on producer page.
If they do not mention such high temps, then either you RMA the card or if does not have anymore warranty then you can repaste it and change thermal pads.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
In heavy gaming sessions as you mentioned, you can easy reach that temps.
I suggest to search the specs of your card on producer page.
If they do not mention such high temps, then either you RMA the card or if does not have anymore warranty then you can repaste it and change thermal pads.
asrock product page doesn't contain any temp related info :(

Apr 19, 2024
Then maybe you have to ask them what are the normal temps of the card and what are the max temps that they consider normal.
After that you could ask for a RMA if the answer does not fit with your situation.

Hi, my os- win11, MOBO-Gigabyte B650M DS3H, bios version FA5c,cpu ryzen5 7600, Ram - Acer Predator Vesta II 30-38-38-76 6000MHz 16gbX2, gpu - Asrock AMD rx 7800xt challenger oc

during gpu heavy gaming , my gpu hotspot temperature reaches 110c (my room temp is 34c and gpu fans are on full speed and with cabinet's side panel opened, gpu hotspot only reaching 92c though). is it normal? or this temp harming my gpu? upto how much temp is normal on full load? should i undervolt my gpu?

i would rma the gpu if its new send it back and get it refunded no way in hell should the temps be hitting 92 with side cover off i assume the regular gpu is like 80 as theres normally like 10c between the hotspot and regular temp

updated as someone pointed out. its quite hot in your room at 34c.

still i would opt for water cooling your pc as in hot environments its better then air cooling.

Last edited:

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
He said his room temp is 34 degrees Celsius (93.2 Fahrenheit for those not understanding SI units).

For me that's insanely hot environment -- I could only sit naked in such heat and still sweat profusely.

No wonder the fans are having trouble cooling the card.

If I were him I'd invest in air conditioner first to bring that down to 25 degrees C at least, then look for a way to improve airflow in the case.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
i would rma the gpu if its new send it back and get it refunded no way in hell should the temps be hitting 92 with side cover off i assume the regular gpu is like 80 as theres normally like 10c between the hotspot and regular temp

updated as someone pointed out. its quite hot in your room at 34c.

still i would opt for water cooling your pc as in hot environments its better then air cooling.
btw, with side panel open when my gpu hotspot was 92c, my regular gpu temp was at only 57c.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Then your case + fan setup is hampering airflow around the card. Post a picture so we can see what the setup looks like - please remove side panel(the glass will reflect things and blurs images). Gotta go through an image hosting site to post pics here.
Ty. my gpu hotspot temperature reaches 110c though gpu regular temp stays at 72c (my room temp is 34c and gpu fans are on full speed and with cabinet's side panel opened, gpu hotspot only reaching 92c and my regular gpu temp only 57c though). open case or not, the difference between gpu regular temp and hot spot temp core-hotspot delta is like 35-40c under full load, is it not too much ? Should i RMA?
View: https://i.imgur.com/vyI5Xpd.jpeg

Last edited:
Ty. my gpu hotspot temperature reaches 110c though gpu regular temp stays at 72c (my room temp is 34c and gpu fans are on full speed and with cabinet's side panel opened, gpu hotspot only reaching 92c and my regular gpu temp only 57c though). open case or not, the difference between gpu regular temp and hot spot temp core-hotspot delta is like 35-40c under full load, is it not too much ? Should i RMA?
View: https://i.imgur.com/vyI5Xpd.jpeg

I would still rma a hot spot should be like 10c at most 20,c difference someone at factory has botched something up

Reactions: eziowar

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
I will never understand both case makers and users who insist on pushing air horizontally through the case (front to back).

You are literally working against physics -- hot air rises upwards (because it is less dense and because of pressure differential that is created) so you'd want to intake the air at the bottom of the case where it's the coldest (assuming your case is on the floor) and exhaust it at the top.

That also requires reorienting the CPU cooler to blow upwards, but from my experience that leads to lower temeperatures in the case even in warm habitats.