[SOLVED] HD 5450 warm but not working?

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

I just brought a HD 5450 for an old hp 8200 elite sff with an i5 2400 and 2x2gb 1333mhz ram. This pc also has a q67 express chipset. I brought this card so the user of this pc can play the latest version of minecraft as the onboard hd 2000 graphics don't have windows 10 drivers or directx support. However, when i put the card in, i got no display signal from the hdmi or vga. I tried the card in my main build but still no display output. This card does get a little warm so its even more weird.

If anyone can help, it's much appreciated :)

HPs of that era are notorious for having a whitelist in the BIOS, so you can only get GPUs (or wifi cards) from HP or used cards that originally came with that particular model, else the BIOS will refuse to initialize the card.

If that model card was similar to a factory option then it is possible you could get just the vBIOS for a factory card and edit your vBIOS to have the same ID. That said, if it doesn't work in you other, non-HP computer then it's probably just dead

There was never a Win 10 driver for that onboard IGP but you could install the Win 8 driver for it to get DirectX.

Reactions: Guest610077

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

Indeed the card is dead and I am returning it.
I am looking for a low tdp card with at least 1gb of vram and that is under £20. Any ideas? Also, this won't be my build, I am giving it to a younger sibling who does not use it for any gpu intensive tasks.

Thanks for all the help :)