Question HDD doesn't spin with original PCB, but does with replacement - but can't be recognised. Flash ROM?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 16, 2024
Just reading more about WDR - it says it only works on 32 bit Windows and only for ATA connections (ie. SATA is not supported).

I'm running 64 bit W11, and my drive is SATA only. Could we be on the wrong path here?

Apr 16, 2024
Thanks so for all your help fzabkar, you're an absolute legend. Dissapointing outcome of course - but I appreciate it all the same. Take care.

Contact this company:

https://www.hdd-parts.com/10092901.html

They will do the firmware transfer, and supply a donor PCB, for US$50. You can email them a copy of the ROM image that I created for you.

BTW, I have no affiliation of any kind with this company.

This is a donor PCB board and firmware transfer service.
How it works:
1. clients send us the PCB boards(if you already sent , please ignore this step).
2. we do PCB board firmware transfer
3. we ship the donor boards back to the clients.
Note:
If you cannot find the correct donor board, you may send us the photos of your hard drive and the PCB board.We will find the correct donor board for you. If you buy the PCB board from us, the PCB board firmware transfer service charge is free.

Apr 16, 2024
Thank you, I'll look into that.

Before I send it away, do you think it's worth attempting a hardware fix (eg. remove the TVS diode), in case it's shorting and the original PCB is still actually working?

Apr 16, 2024
Unfortunately, it's a no go from that shop.

"sorry , we can’t swap the BIOS chip for this model board"

I think like you say, I might have come to a dead end here. Thanks again for your help so far.

They're offering data recovery services, so that means that they must have software tools to reprogram the embedded ROM in-circuit. They do this by connecting their equipment to the jumper block on the PCB. Something is not right ...

Anyway, that was tough luck. You almost got there.

I contacted hdd-parts.com and explained your situation. They didn't understand me at first (I'm still not sure if they do), but try contacting "Jason" and mention my recent conversation with him. Send him the regenerated ROM image via email and tell him the part number of the PCB you want programmed (2060-nnnnnn).

Apr 16, 2024
Wow, this is above and beyond - thank you fzabkar.

I just flicked this through:

Hi HDD parts,

I've just been told that someone has contacted you on my behalf to explain my situation, and told me to contact "Jason".

Jason - if you're around I've been told to send you my ROM image via email, along with the PCB number. Is there an email in particular I can send this to?

Thank you,

Me.

Apr 16, 2024
Hi, me again.

They've managed to transfer the ROM/BIOS to the donor board, and are ready to ship which is great.

I just wanted to double check that it was `rom.bin` from here https://ufile.io/xm1c8pj3 that they were supposed to write to the PCB?

Cheers.

Apr 16, 2024
Ah perfect, just checking it was the correct file before I spent my last $50 of the month haha.

The serial and model match my HDD exactly, thanks.

Apr 16, 2024
Just a quick Q if you have a moment: for the ROM you rebuilt, I'm just wondering what the success rate will be. How is the rebuilt ROM different than (say) the ROM on the replacement PCB I have?

Is the idea here that the ROM will work for any HDD of the same spec (ie. it matches the above serial and model number)? So when these PCB's are factory-flashed, they are all the same for that batch?

These ROMs contain calibration data for the heads and read/write channel. Due to manufacturing tolerances, every drive is unique. Your donor PCB was close enough to allow us to access the System Area (SA, where the firmware is located), but not close enough to access the user area (data). I was able to locate backups of the calibration data in the SA, and I used them to regenerate your ROM.

Apr 16, 2024
I think I understand. Just to confirm, does this mean the newly flashed PCB by hdd-parts should be able to be mounted to my HDD and I will be able to use it as a normal drive? (ie. get data from it)

Apr 16, 2024
I hope so too :D

Thanks again. I'll post here with the final result when the PCB arrives. Hope they understood what you were saying properly!