Question Help me identify general 907 iron solder heating element pins polarity

zwtch_17

Commendable
Dec 18, 2021
Take the example of the Hakko A1321 heating element, which has two red pins and two blue pins. What I know is that red pins are for heaters, and blue pins are for thermal sensors. and both red and blue have one short pin and one long pin. What I don't know is their polarity. Is it the same as the LED/capacitor leg? They have long and short pins to identify their polarity.

Solution
I mean if it's a thermocouple it's basically a variable resistor (I think?), and a heating element has no polarity, you're just dumping electricity in to it to make heat, so... Good chance nothing you're working with cares about polarity, here.

Not 100% on the sensor, so don't blow anything up listening to me, but the different length legs may have more to do with how it's originally assembled than anything.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I mean if it's a thermocouple it's basically a variable resistor (I think?), and a heating element has no polarity, you're just dumping electricity in to it to make heat, so... Good chance nothing you're working with cares about polarity, here.

Not 100% on the sensor, so don't blow anything up listening to me, but the different length legs may have more to do with how it's originally assembled than anything.

Solution

zwtch_17

Commendable
Dec 18, 2021

Sorry for replying now. I just finished my DIY solder station. I did it just like you said. You were right, there is no polarity on the heating element. Also, about the sensor, it's working perfectly fine.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: kira-faye