Question Help with OS drive corrupting repeatedly

Riki-Oh

Reputable
Aug 2, 2020
This happened to me twice in the last two days: I turn on the pc, it gives me the blue screen of death with the “inaccessible boot device” error message (and on successive tries, something about some driver missing from system32, but I can’t see that message anymore so I don’t remember which driver), and everytime I try to restore the os it gives me an error.

Yesterday I tried reinstalling the os from 0 and it seemed like everything worked fine, but today the same thing happened again, and now it says the os is not installed at all. I tried using the drive on another system and the problem still remains.

Another weird thing that happened is that, for some reason, I found that on another hard drive were created two partititions like the ones you have on the boot device (I tried removing it but it didn’t help).

The only weird thing I did recently is setting two nvme drives on raid 0 via Intel Rapid Storage tech. In the bios, without a dedicated raid card or anything, I don’t know if that might be cause, since my boot drive is also a nvme.

I had the latest version of windows 11 on both occasions.
To recap, I have 1 500GB nvme to boot windows, 2 1TB nvme (on raid 0) and an HDD.
The CPU is an Intel I9-9700K.
The motherboard is a Aorus pro wifi z390.
I use Malwarebytes, I don’t know if it somehow brakes something in the os.

What might be the problem? Thank you in advance for your time

P.S. I know raid 0 is useless on nvmes, but I needed them to work as one volume and between spanning and raid 0 I thougt I might as well choose the latter if it didn’t create problems, since I don’t put important files/programs there so I don’t care if something goes wrong and I lose the data.

Riki-Oh

Reputable
Aug 2, 2020

Riki-Oh

Reputable
Aug 2, 2020
If you physically disconnect ALL drives except Disk 2, the 500GB SSD(?), does the system boot and run properly?
for now it works fine with or without the other drives, as I decided to reinstall windows a second time, but yesterday I was in the same situation, with everything seemingly fixing itself after reinstalling windows, and after a day it broke again upon startup.
I'll try to keep all the drives (except the hdd) connected for a couple of days and see if everything works fine.

for now it works fine with or without the other drives
What is model name of your 500GB OS drive?
Check the drive with manufacturer specific SSD tool.

I'd suspect OS drive to be faulty.

You may want to make sure
Fast boot is disabled in BIOS and​
Fast startup is disabled in Windows.​
Also disable hibernation.
powercfg -h off

Riki-Oh

Reputable
Aug 2, 2020
What is model name of your 500GB OS drive?
It's a Samsung 970 EVO Plus
You may want to make sure
Fast boot is disabled in BIOS andFast startup is disabled in Windows.Also disable hibernation.
powercfg -h off
Checked and done.

Like I said before, removing my now dead hdd seemed to have solved the issue, as I didn't get any errors in the last couple days.
I don't know if it's possible for a faulty hard drive to break windows (as I tried to disconnect it from the system before reinstalling windows and it didn't solve the problem at the time), but if it is, then I should be fine for the time being.

Either way thank you all for your time and availability.