Question How do I convert MBR to GPT so that I can enable TPM for Windows 11 upgrade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2023
I have Windows 10 and want to upgrade to 11.

I need to make my disks from MBR to GPT to enable TPM in the BIOS.

How do I convert my disks to GPT?

Instructions below should work;

DON'T do this unless you are willing to forever lose whatever is on the disks.

Power off the computer, and insert or connect a Windows installation DVD or USB installer flash drive.

Power on the computer and tap whatever key will lead you to the boot menu. Probably an F key, but varies by motherboard. You might have to Google to determine what key works for your motherboard brand.

Select the Windows installation DVD or USB in the boot menu that should appear and press Enter key.

From the Windows Setup screen, press Shift + F10 key to open a Command Prompt window.

In the Command Prompt window, type diskpart and press Enter key.

To identify the disk drive to reformat, type list disk and press Enter key.

To select the drive and reformat it, type select disk # (substitute # with the disk number; for example select disk 2) and press Enter key. BE VERY CAREFUL to select the correct disk.

Type clean and press Enter key.

Type convert gpt and press Enter key.

Type exit and press Enter key.

Close the Command Prompt window. If you are installing Windows, go to the Windows Setup process.

Reactions: zinkles
I have windows 10 and want to upgrade to 11.
I need to make my disks from MBR to GPT to enable TPM from my bios.
How do I convert my disks to GPT?
Please list specs of your hardware.
Windows 11 has rather strict supported hardware requirements.

Note - If you convert your drives to GPT and your system doesn't support UEFI, then it will not boot anymore.
UEFI support is required.

Sep 28, 2023
You should be able to do it directly from Windows Disk Management.....at least for disks that you are NOT booting from.

Or by using Diskpart command at a command prompt.

Is there ANYTHING on the disks that you don't want to lose?
nothing on the disks that I don’t want to lose.

Should i convert the disk that I am NOT booting from as well?

Sep 28, 2023
That is not upgrade.
That is clean install.

Instructions below should work;

DON'T do this unless you are willing to forever lose whatever is on the disks.

Power off the computer, and insert or connect a Windows installation DVD or USB installer flash drive.

Power on the computer and tap whatever key will lead you to the boot menu. Probably an F key, but varies by motherboard. You might have to Google to determine what key works for your motherboard brand.

Select the Windows installation DVD or USB in the boot menu that should appear and press Enter key.

From the Windows Setup screen, press Shift + F10 key to open a Command Prompt window.

In the Command Prompt window, type diskpart and press Enter key.

To identify the disk drive to reformat, type list disk and press Enter key.

To select the drive and reformat it, type select disk # (substitute # with the disk number; for example select disk 2) and press Enter key. BE VERY CAREFUL to select the correct disk.

Type clean and press Enter key.

Type convert gpt and press Enter key.

Type exit and press Enter key.

Close the Command Prompt window. If you are installing Windows, go to the Windows Setup process.
I enabled secure boot. I made it Windows UEFI in the bios. But my pc still says secure boot is not enabled.

I haven’t done mbr2GPT yet

Status
Not open for further replies.