Question How do I reinstall Windows from a previous Boot drive ?

Jul 9, 2023
Hi,
I'm currently upgrading my PC and I'm gonna buy a new CPU, motherboard and a cooler and intend to keep all of my SSDs and HDDs. So, my question is how do I re-use the disks without losing any data and re-activating Windows? Do I just plug it in?
Thanks for the response in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,
I'm currently upgrading my PC and I'm gonna buy a new CPU, motherboard and a cooler and intend to keep all of my SSDs and HDDs. So, my question is how do I reuse the disks without loosing any data and re-activating Windows? Do I just plug it in?
Thanks for the response in advance!
You can try. There is a chance (the probability depends on how similar the two boards are) that it will boot. There is an equal or better chance it won't boot. There is also a chance it will boot but bluescreen. The best answer is to assume you have to reinstall Windows and your applications and prepare to do so while your current PC is functional. Get a Windows download from MS website. Get the application installers you will require. Get all the software keys, etc. Downloaded games from stream can be reloaded, but the stream app will have to be reinstalled.

Reactions: CountMike