Question How do I turn on Ethernet Ports in my house?

May 8, 2024
Hey All,

I have the CAT5 ports already existing in my home, current setup is Modem to EERO which connects to all places - but the Ethernet Panel does not work when plugged in.
I have some images of the setup - I am not sure if all is connected already or is there something I need to do with the router.
There is lots of wires in the network center but not sure what each one does.
Current Setup with Modem and EERO - one wire is fetched to the modem.
Port
Inside Port
Inside Port Other Side

Please help!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey All,

I have the CAT5 ports already existing in my home, current setup is Modem to EERO which connects to all places - but the Ethernet Panel does not work when plugged in.
I have some images of the setup - I am not sure if all is connected already or is there something I need to do with the router.
There is lots of wires in the network center but not sure what each one does.
Current Setup with Modem and EERO - one wire is fetched to the modem.
Port
Inside Port
Inside Port Other Side

Please help!
You need to have an ethernet switch where the wires come to a central location. Those cables that are coiled up and terminate on the left side of the picture should be the ethernet ports. With in-wall cabling, I recommend getting a basic tester/tracer like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Connections-Klein-Tools-VDV526-200/dp/B0925826M2 It will let you verify which cable goes where.
The single flow chart is ISP --> Modem -> Router (might be combined with modem) -> switch -> wall plates.

Reactions: stonecarver
May 8, 2024
You need to have an ethernet switch where the wires come to a central location. Those cables that are coiled up and terminate on the left side of the picture should be the ethernet ports. With in-wall cabling, I recommend getting a basic tester/tracer like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Connections-Klein-Tools-VDV526-200/dp/B0925826M2 It will let you verify which cable goes where.
The single flow chart is ISP --> Modem -> Router (might be combined with modem) -> switch -> wall plates.
Thank you for your response - I finally understood how to make it work. I tested every single one within my house that works besides 1 specific port - I looked at the wiring and it looks correct to what it should be compared it with rest and the internet.

I connected an unmanaged netgear 8 port switch
Modem - EERO Router - Switch - the rest of the Cables.

Currently I just tested the other ports connecting devices into each one and checking the indicator on the Switch Showing them as connected and also working. Besides 1 ethernet port - that one is not connecting at all.

Would I need to get this tester in order to check it? Or would I need to call in a professional to check the cable.
From what I can see the cables do not seem to be damaged.