Question How to back up a DVD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
You'll have to get or borrow the external dvd reader/writer first, but after that the easiest program I'm aware of and have used is Handbrake. I seriously doubt that there is any copy protection on the dvd, so copy at will. With Handbrake you can pick the format and quality it comes out at. AVI will play on everything and MKV likely will too. No need to put it on another DVD, just save the file that's created and then you can put it on thumb drives for your whole family and return the external dvd...

I few years ago, I backed up all of my dvd's and have them saved in digital formats on my HDD and a backup HDD too. Stuff like movies of kids' birthday parties and such. If it happens to be protected somehow, there are simple ways to remove most of them too, but I'm betting with a HS musical that is not part of the equation.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Okay. I'll mess around with it this weekend. I am probably just wrong because I saw time associated with the discs when looking to purchase some. Our musical is on a single dvd, but it's something like a 3 hour show, and it seemed like the times I saw on discs were less that than, so I figured I'd need something with longer minutes on it.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
Buy the dual layer. If you are shipping them to family or distributing thru the mail it's probably the best alternative. yet having a backup file on your pc would be recommended still; and the programs I mentioned are simple to use to accomplish that.