Question How to connect two routers to one internet?

Oct 16, 2023
How to connect two routers to one internet? I recently got internet with a primary router already connected and functioning. From the primary router, an RJ45 cable is connected to the LAN1 port of a second router. However, I'm having trouble setting up the second router. I've disabled DHCP, but it doesn't seem to work. The second router was previously used with a SIM card. What steps should I take to resolve this issue?

My second router was desgined to work with sim card. When I was asked to disable sim card option and launch ethernet wire I have done it and the only options were disable DHCP or login with PPOE credentials ( I do not have PPOE I think, or this is username and password from first router?

I launch something like bridge mode, but still it does not work. If I disable DHCP on second router it doesn't work.

enter image description here

Is there an access point mode on the 2nd router?

Seems like you're cobbling together ISP routers. However, software on ISP routers are very limited for a reason(lower user errors and higher reliability). You may not have the options you need to make this work without buying new hardware.

What's the make and model of each router? That'll help us help you.

Reactions: chrisWWWW
Oct 16, 2023
First main router:
Huawei Echolife EG8145V5

Second router:
HUAWEI B535-232

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
So (disregarding the diagram in Post #1) the connectivity is more like the following line diagram:

Where ----> represents an Ethernet cable.

ISP === (fiber)===> [OpticalPort] EchoLife Main Router [LAN port] -----> [LAN port 1] Huawei B535[LAN port(s)] ---- >Wired devices and ~~~> Wireless devices.

(EchoLife Main router perhaps also having wired devices connected its' other LAN ports.)

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

EchoLife has DHCP Enabled, Huawei has DHCP disabled - correct?

What IP addresses are being used by the two routers? Subnet masks?

Those IP addresses should be private IP addresses. Do not post the public IP address provided to the Main router via the ISP.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...hen a device such as,with a public IP address.

If the router's IP addresses are not properly configured and/or if network devices are likewise not properly configured then the network devices will not communicate. In or out of your home network.

Reactions: chrisWWWW
Oct 16, 2023
Thanks for an answer.
That's what I make:

ISP === (fiber)===> [OpticalPort] EchoLife Main Router [LAN 1 port] -----> [LAN4/WAN] Huawei B535 ~~~> (wireless internet)

EchoLife Main Router 192.168.18.1
Huawei B535 default: 192.168.8.1 -> desactive DCIP and changed IP to 192.160.1.1
I don't know if it is a proper behaviour but after desactive DCIP I cannot log in to my router menu 192.160.1.1 or 192.168.8.1 does not work.

Still not work.

If I use command like: nmcli
I have result of my Huawei B535 router with hexa no decimal approach.
When I launch my first router Echolife which works I have normal decimal ips like 192.168.18.1

Another behaviour during configuring router:

Screenshot-from-2023-10-20-09-32-19.png

Screenshot-from-2023-10-20-09-36-48.png

Maybe it is matter of configuration?
This is what I have done so far.
Screenshot-from-2023-10-20-10-13-34.png

Screenshot-from-2023-10-20-10-14-12.png

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023
Ok, I have done it like this. it has range till [....254], so .250 should be okay.
When I have launched this WIFI from second router on my phone it gives me message "This Wi-Fi network has not Internet access. Connect anyway?" still not work.