Question How to fix MSI X470 BIOS not seeing any devices -ATAPI error IHBS 11

donrudi

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021
This concerns my MSI Ryzen 5 2600X PC that I built in 2018 on an MSI X470 Performance Gaming MOBO with onboard graphics and two 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 RAM and a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 with 2GB RAM. The problem began when the PC started to show symptoms of a power supply failure which was subsequently confirmed when a PSU tester showed a dead rail. I replaced the PSU with an EVGA 850W G5 series which replaced the demised EVGA 750W PSU. Windows 10 Home booted but soon failed with all storage devices disappearing from BIOS which now only shows SATA 5 with an error with the value "ATAPI IHBS 11." None of the EZ BIOS LEDs are lit and the Noctua fans are running normally. The Windows install CD and the rescue USB stick both fail to detect media where Windows can be installed. Ideas: Bad onboard HDD controller, corrupt BIOS (already reset), bad RAM? Thank you in advance for helping this punched card troglodyte technogeezer.

donrudi

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021
Replace the bios battery

remove the cables from the optical drive and try powering up
be sure the psu is completely plugged in on both ends

Thank you for your prompt reply. I followed your precise instructions. The Sony CR2023 battery was new but I swapped it out anyway. The last remaining data cable (the DVD cable) was removed and the system was rebooted. The ATAPI SATA5 IHBS 11 error went away leaving all SATA ports showing no devices present. I loaded the BIOS defaults to no avail, so the problem persists.