Question HP Omen Desktop - Sudden startup failure - Boot Device not Found (3F0) Error

May 10, 2024
Heyo, I attempted to start up my computer today but was instead jumpscared by a "Boot Device not Found, please install an operating system on your hard disk" error, this has never occurred before and popped up after a normal previous day of use and normal shutdown. My computer doesn't have an HDD, only SSD. I've attempted:

- Upgrading windows in a futile attempt to maybe not erase all my files. Upgrade option isn't available with installation media.
- Reinstalling windows. "We couldn't find any drives." Refreshing or loading driver does nothing, cannot get beyond this point.
- Start-repair: couldn't repair pc.
- System restore: Nada, still no detected operating system.

I don't know what to do, I'll take any help at this point, please and thank you.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Heyo, I attempted to start up my computer today but was instead jumpscared by a "Boot Device not Found, please install an operating system on your hard disk" error, this has never occurred before and popped up after a normal previous day of use and normal shutdown. My computer doesn't have an HDD, only SSD. I've attempted:

- Upgrading windows in a futile attempt to maybe not erase all my files. Upgrade option isn't available with installation media.
- Reinstalling windows. "We couldn't find any drives." Refreshing or loading driver does nothing, cannot get beyond this point.
- Start-repair: couldn't repair pc.
- System restore: Nada, still no detected operating system.

I don't know what to do, I'll take any help at this point, please and thank you.
Is the drive detected/shown in the BIOS?

You might have luck in removing and replugging the drive physically to see if that works.

May 10, 2024
Is the drive detected/shown in the BIOS?

You might have luck in removing and replugging the drive physically to see if that works.
After performing precise surgery on the tiniest most fiddly screw in existence I can confirm that unplugging and replugging the SSD sadly results in no change, it's still throwing a 3F0 error.

Sorry, edit: how would I check for it in the BIOS?

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Is it now at least detected in the BIOS?

The error 3F0 (in HP) is because an OS wasn't found or its corrupted. Since you've replugged the drive, try the Windows install again since last time the issue was it didn't show the drive to install.

May 10, 2024
Nope, unfortunately stuck at the same step as before. I'm assuming from 'not found or corrupted', I'm probably at the 'corrupted' stage?

IMG_20240510_143245.jpg

May 10, 2024
Sounds like the ssd has gone to computer heaven. SSD drives are relatively inexpensive so probably the easiest thing I’d replace it.
Christ my old computer self-corrupts its system 32 files, my new computer decides to murder it's SSD in the night, when will the suffering end. Guess i'm gonna have to crack open my rainy day jar... Thanks for trying to revive it with me anyway.

Is there any way to recover the data on there or is that kaput? Nothing major to lose but all very annoying.

If the drive is dead and not detected in bios possibly not. You could try taking out to a data recovery center but that can get pricey.

For example though a 1tb ssd should run about 50-60 dollars so they aren’t too much.

You definitely want to look into a backup solution though so that you don’t have to worry in case of this kind of situation again.

This solution may not be popular but at work we are starting to use Microsoft OneDrive and having users documents, desktop and pictures folder synchronize into OneDrive. Then if anything happens, sign back in and download the data again.

Reactions: axo88
May 10, 2024
I'll see about data recovery, the SSD isn't going anywhere I guess. Luckily all the stuff that would kill me to lose is backed up elsewhere (I'm not 100% stupid! Maybe only 25%, correlating to the amount I lazily hadn't got around to synching yet.)

Anyway, thanks for the help, both of you.