News Huawei is secretly backing research at U.S. and U.K. universities again — Chinese tech giant continues to draw ire

I don't get why this article is targeting Huawei because Huawei isn't doing anything wrong from their perspective. The targets of this article should be the US and UK-based entities who are perfectly willing to engage with companies like Huawei because from their perspective, they ARE doing something wrong.

As long as Western entities are willing to engage with China, none of this will stop. As long as articles with the same "China is always bad, US is always good" political slant that completely miss the point like this one keep getting published, none of this will stop.

In the case of Huawei's name not being on research that it sponsors, does that mean that the researchers don't know what they're being funded by Huawei or that they do know but are covering it up? If it's the former, then I don't care because the results of the research aren't generally disclosed to anonymous donors. If it's the latter, then universities like the aforementioned UT-Austin should be barred from accepting said grants and university competitions should be banned from accepting any Chinese money.

I personally don't have a problem with it but if they want to make a stink about it, then make it illegal to accept said donations. That will do far more to eradicate the problem than articles complaining about the fact that Huawei sponsored these institutions and events.

Remember, IT TAKES TWO to complete any transaction.

NinoPino

Commendable
May 26, 2022
For me, in the article is not clarified what is the threat in case of Huawei's anonymous financing of these competitions.
What change from using Americans dollars or Chinese dollars ? If the results of the research are done by US students, filtered by US colleges and produce US patents, I really do not understand the problem.
Please, someone can explain this ?

Reactions: Avro Arrow
If it is technical research where all the results are public does it really matter who is paying. It only matters when the research could be used for political purposes is important to know who funds it.

Nothing really new. The sugar producers fund research that shows artificial sweeteners cause cancer and the artficial sweetener companies pay for studies that show drinks using sugar causes all kinds of heath problems trying to get governments to tax or ban sugar products.

Reactions: Avro Arrow