Question I am building a ITX system with an Intel i5 12400f, will the stock cooler be good enough?

May 6, 2024
I am building an ITX system :

Intel Core i5 12400f CPU

ASUS Prime H610I-PLUS D4-CSM motherboard

Fractal Design Torrent Nano case

Corsair CX 550 watt PSU

Kingston 16 GB Fury 3200 mhz DDR4 RAM

ASUS RTX 3050 6GB GPU

Will the Intel stock CPU cooler be good enough or would it be better to get something else like a Cooler Master Hyper H412R?

kanewolf

Titan
I am building an ITX system :

Intel Core i5 12400f CPU

ASUS Prime H610I-PLUS D4-CSM motherboard

Fractal Design Torrent Nano case

Corsair CX 550 watt PSU

Kingston 16 GB Fury 3200 mhz DDR4 RAM

ASUS RTX 3050 6GB GPU

Will the Intel stock CPU cooler be good enough or would it be better to get something else like a Cooler Master Hyper H412R?
Intel thinks so, or they wouldn't sell the CPU with the cooler.

logainofhades

Titan
A better cooler will be quieter too. Thermalright has a bunch of 120mm coolers that will be more than sufficient, for not a lot of money. The Peerless Assassin is one of the best coolers for the money right now. I would like to add that it is a nice case, but it is quite expensive. You could get better performance, for the same money, with a less expensive case. Also do not buy a 3050, especially the 6gb model. An RX 6600 is way faster, and similar in price. Ram should really be 32gb, for a gaming rig these days, and that PSU is not very good quality wise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVYK9LtHLc

Average-p.webp

May 6, 2024
A better cooler will be quieter too. Thermalright has a bunch of 120mm coolers that will be more than sufficient, for not a lot of money. The Peerless Assassin is one of the best coolers for the money right now. I would like to add that it is a nice case, but it is quite expensive. You could get better performance, for the same money, with a less expensive case. Also do not buy a 3050, especially the 6gb model. An RX 6600 is way faster, and similar in price. Ram should really be 32gb, for a gaming rig these days, and that PSU is not very good quality wise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVYK9LtHLc

Average-p.webp
What would be a better PSU ? I thought Corsair were quite good quality.

logainofhades

Titan
What would be a better PSU ? I thought Corsair were quite good quality.

Corsair, like any company has models that are not all that great. The CX models are one of those. Looking at pricing, I would choose this one. Quality PSU's, at lower wattages, aren't really all that much cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX 3.0 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-07 12:46 EDT-0400

Reactions: geofelt
The cpu will come with a very good rm1 laminar flow cooler.
It is entirely adequate.
Your case is a good one for air cooling.
To get a pushpin cooler to mount level, the trick is to push down on diagonal pins at the same time.
If not happy, you still have the option to use a different cooler.
I would be inclined to spend the $25 you saved on the 12400F and buy the 12400 which includes integrated graphics.
It can save you if you have discrete graphics issues and makes testing easier.

The 12400 can drive a much stronger future gpu upgrade.
Prepare for that with a strong psu. The seasonic 750 GX750 suggested above with a 10 year warranty tells you about quality

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
The cooler will be good. A tower cooler would cool the CPU more which you may not need. The only reason to buy a tower cooler is because you can buy a quieter one. So it's for silence, not cooling. Your stock cooler is good enough for that.
Tower coolers also make it more risky to transport the PC case.

Probably save your money. If it turns out you need a tower cooler, you can always buy it.

I'm running the stock cooler on a 12400F, originally because I had to and now because I'm happy with it. It caps out (in my system) at 91°C in Prime95 Small FFT and around 70°C in gaming at 1750 - 2000 rpm.

So yes, it can certainly be good enough.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I'm running the stock cooler on a 12400F, originally because I had to and now because I'm happy with it. It caps out (in my system) at 91°C in Prime95 Small FFT and around 70°C in gaming at 1750 - 2000 rpm.

So yes, it can certainly be good enough.
Do you consider it to be loud? Or noisy, or irritating? That is one other frequent complaint about intel coolers.

Do you consider it to be loud? Or noisy, or irritating? That is one other frequent complaint about intel coolers.
No, although when it's being pushed during gaming I wear headphones anyway. In the past I've built PCs with the emphasis on silence so this was probably my biggest worry, but when it's being generally used it's pretty quiet, certainly not any kind of hairdryer.

I'm sure I could get the PC even quieter with a different cooler; it's just in my situation, I'd need to get a Dremel and carve out the motherboard tray. Overall, for the 12400 + stock RM1 cooler I'd say an alternative cooler is a luxury rather than the near necessity they used to be.

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
No, although when it's being pushed during gaming I wear headphones anyway. In the past I've built PCs with the emphasis on silence so this was probably my biggest worry, but when it's being generally used it's pretty quiet, certainly not any kind of hairdryer.

I'm sure I could get the PC even quieter with a different cooler; it's just in my situation, I'd need to get a Dremel and carve out the motherboard tray. Overall, for the 12400 + stock RM1 cooler I'd say an alternative cooler is a luxury rather than the near necessity they used to be.
Thank you.

Out of curiosity, I ran a CPU-Z stress test in my ITX pc using a 13100 and the stock cooler.
The case is a lian li PC Q02 which is a tiny case with no fans or ventilation to speak of.
The core temperatures maxed out at 75c. initially. The cooler fan ran at about 3000 rpm and sounded like a low level hum. Certainly not objectionable. Then, after 15 minutes it went to 85c. when the interior got warmer. and the fan went to 3200 rpm.

Bottom line_____________________________________
Perfectly fine for me.

Reactions: 35below0