Question I can't figure out how to connect PC to WiFi ?

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Heya all

I've recently moved, and having issues trying to connect my pc to the WiFi.

I built it myself a while back, and always used ethernet so it doesn't actually have a WiFi adapter built in. I was always very lucky to be either near or next to the router. In other cases I used a pair of tp -link powerline adapters that allowed me to connect via ethernet by plugging into two mains sockets at different points in the house, one by the pc and one by the router. Anoyingly though, one seems to have been lost in the move.

Additionally, I'm told that this house is technically two flats, with downstairs having its own grid of power, gas and such, and upstairs being seperate. So I'm not sure the tp links would even work.

My question: what's the best way of connecting my pc to the internet in this situation? My room is the furthest from the router. The WiFi does reach it thanks to some boosters but it can be tempremntal and weak.

Do I buy a good WiFi dongle that will be able to connect to this signal? I've had bad experience with these before not giving good internet signal so am wary.

Do I buy another pair of tp links and hope they work?

Does anyone have any other ideas? My pc has sat dormant for quite some time now and I'd really love to get it booted so I can use it now I have the time.

Thanks all for your help!

house is technically two flats, with downstairs having its own grid of power, gas and such, and upstairs being seperate
this would have no impact on the ability for powerline adapters to use your electrical grid.
Do I buy another pair of tp links
you could do that or get a powerful WiFi booster and set it between you and the router.

there are even better powerline options that can offer both ethernet & WiFi:
https://www.devolo.global/magic-2-wifi-next

i've been using this devolo set for a few years now and it offers very strong WiFi throughout our house and ethernet connection to our secondary office through it's powerline interface.

Reactions: Shmichael

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Make sure your wifi router isn’t on the floor, in a cabinet or tucked away where the signal is blocked. Try and maintain as much of a direct line of site between devices. Use the 2.4 Ghz band for signal strength. If your flat has coax cable installed with connections in your room, consider using MoCA adapters.

I would buy an Asus router that is capable of Media Bridge Mode(not all are depending on model). Compared to an internal card, you'll get superior radio electronics and a 4x4 radio for the most bandwidth. Set up the router for bridge mode, connect to the main wifi and connect the ethernet to your computer. Works really well. I did this for several years while living in an apartment.

Also, because you're so far away, you can experiment with directional external antennae, since you likely know where the main wifi is located.

Model's I'd recommend:
AX55: only has a 2x2 radio though.
AX86u or AX86u: only has a 3x3 2.4ghz radio, but does have a 4x4 5ghz radio. Really depends on whether or not you can get a decent 5ghz signal where's you're located. The 3x3 2.4ghz radio wouldn't matter then.
TUF AX6000: has a 4x4 2.4ghz radio and 4x4 5ghz radio.

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
this would have no impact on the ability for powerline adapters to use your electrical grid.
Are you sure? Googling it it sounded like it they wouldn't work if the flats had separate electrical grids (i.e. different meters).

Ye devolo sounds perfect, but sadly is well out of my price range at the moment. Do you have any recommendations for anything a little cheaper?

Are you sure? Googling it it sounded like it they wouldn't work if the flats had separate electrical grids (i.e. different meters).

Ye devolo sounds perfect, but sadly is well out of my price range at the moment. Do you have any recommendations for anything a little cheaper?

It really depends. If the electric company brings all the power into a mains, then splits each flat into a meter then into a sub panel. Then it's possible it could work. But if each flat is wired from the utility directly outside, to a meter, then it likely won't work.

Is there Coax TV or Antenna running into the apartment building to each apartment? If they run back to a main splitter, then you could use MOCA to get really good gigabit speed to the main router.

It is not so much the power meters but those fancy electronic ones that report the usage every couple minutes seem to filter powerline networks more than the old style semi mechanical ones. The issue more depends on how the wires are connected behind the power meter. In most cases they run back to a large transformer and power line signals will not pass through that.

It actually is a very good thing that powerline networks do not go to your neighbors house. If both attempted to use powerline units they would interfere with each other unless they used the same encryption keys which is kinda a worse problem.