Question I replaced my broken Mother Board and now my windows wont start

Apr 28, 2024
My old MB was failing so a replacement was necessary.
I replaced it with BCM Rx67Q link below with the combo specs if needed

The replacement went well and the computer which is Linux mint / win 7 dual boot, the Linux boots great and I'm using it to type this message. Windows 7 will not boot at all it gets to the screen where the colored squares com together then i get a BSD with
STOP: 0x0000007b

I tried to do a repair with the win 7 disk and also tried doing a reinstall but keep the data file but it is not working (win 7 reinstall w/ data needs windows to start normally first to run)
the bios is set to run in legacy mode so I'm not sure exactly what to do next

Thanks for help in advance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3353163850...mV0jMxBU/+a6osVf1x1NnmcFTSAe|tkp:BFBMrP3AwOpj

Apr 28, 2024
no the new mother board is not the same
old MB: JW-IG41-L3 4G RAM INTEL DUAL CORE CPU
NEW MB: BCM Rx67Q 16G RAM Intel Core i5-3470 CPU

Apr 28, 2024
yes their are newer versions of my software but buying or installing it when I did cost a lot of $$

faststone, image composer, a full older suit of photo shop, afterFX, gimp and there are a couple video editing programs... you cant even get some of them any more

USAFRet

Titan
yes their are newer versions of my software but buying or installing it when I did cost a lot of $$

faststone, image composer, a full older suit of photo shop, afterFX, gimp and there are a couple video editing programs... you cant even get some of them any more
Fastone

GIMP

HitFilm Express
https://fxhome.com/product/hitfilm (link to Free at top right)

Actual Photoshop?
Not even. You only need that if you really need all the interaction between all the PS tools, AND if your employer is paying for it.

There are many many tools that do very much the same, either free or low cost.

Free:
paint.net

Low cost:
Paintshop Pro

Reactions: Lutfij
Apr 28, 2024
thank you USAFRet yes i love gimp its a great product i will look at the fx home also

and DSzymborski very true I took an image of the drive b4 i started I failed at my research in knowing this would happen, I was thinking if I format the drive then copy the files over on the new system it would meat the new system requirements .... I messed up

If you're really desperate you can try starting in safe mode and installing the correct motherboard drivers from there. The odds are against you even so.

If you bought this software for a lot of $$ then you should still have the licence keys or (more likely given the apparent age of this system) the physical media though?

If you didn't keep the original keys and/or download files of stuff you paid for, or if you've sold on the physical media while keeping the programs installed, you're probably better off moving on.

Reactions: Crystal_B
Apr 28, 2024
I have made some progress, hoping somebody could help me through the last steps I seem to be stuck at
I will list the things i done so far:
my windows7 installer USB would not run on the new UEFI sytem
cleaned the usb and converted it to Gpt then using Rufus installed the iso
and got it working fine.

I had an old failing HDD that my win 7 originally came from so I practiced on that a bit first getting used to the tools and also so I can harvest any files I might need for repairs of my current win 7 disk
I cleaned the HDD and converted it to GPT
I created the efi partition and formatted it fat32
then used the win 7 usb did a fresh install, I got it hanging up where my current hdd is stuck but i went to repair startup and ran it and after that it started windows 7 (woot worked good but had none of my files installed or programs)

I cleaned the current SSD at the CMD Prompt
I went back to an earlier saved image back up
converted the ssd to gpt with mbr2gpt
made a small efi partition in fat32
then run from windows\system32 prompt > cd /d (efi drive letter):\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
it changed to the path
so I typed bootrec /fixboot and it said it was successful

but boot is still hanging at the colored flags and a BSOD so fast i cant see it, i ran the installation repair and it said it was successful and restarted but still hung / bsod at the flags

any help on where to go next would be a great help just finding the right files and putting them in the right places in the boot / startup or getting the correct files / folders from the other running efi win7 hdd would be good .

i think i'm right on the edge to it starting

Last edited:
I have been kind of watching your thread from the side lines.

So to recap short version you had motherboard issues you changed boards and now Windows 7 says bite me and won't load.

If your back up image is from the original motherboard your going to be stuck and still not load after you have installed the back up image.

If you have another SSD keep your newly installed Windows 7 from your back up image and set aside and or unplug.

With a fresh SSD use your newly minted USB installer and just get Windows 7 working. Get all your drivers, updates installed, dot nets , direct-x .

Just get the system working.

Now re-hook up your old copy of windows as a "D" drive.

You will be able to get to your saves but in a MacGyver kind of way still use programs from original install.

No you can't move the programs to your new shiny install of Windows 7 but there perfectly fine launching off your old hard drive or the clone you installed from it.

Here is the trick you will need to go to the "D" drive with your old windows go to its old programs folder.
So
Program Files
Programs Files (x86)

Find the program your looking for than find the .exe in it's folder.

At this point that is how you will have to launch the older programs.

You can also make a short cut from that .exe.

Right click .exe and tell it to make a short cut and it will say do you want to make the short cut go to desktop, click yes. Sometime it will just make a copy next to the original .exe than if that is the case copy and paste the new .exe to your desktop.

You have your old program still working " with extra steps mind you" life goes on. :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024
Thanks for the reply stonecarver yes it is a work around and might be the necessity in the end. I really don't want to give up quiet yet. I spent so many sleepless nights working on it and its so close to going

Here is where the stop gag wall is hitting you.

It's a file that is made from windows install and registration of your original Windows 7 install.
GenuineTicket

That " GenuineTicket" file is deep in hidden folders that when you take like you have a hard drive from one motherboard to a new motherboard as the new motherboard boots Windows does a quick check to see if that "GenuineTicket" matches the hardware it say it has in that file. That's where your getting the bite me and Windows hangs.

It's like having the wrong house key to have your original Windows 7 boot on a different motherboard.

Reactions: Crystal_B