Question I upgraded to a Ryzen 3 3200G but PC keeps restarting with no display ?

Sayantan Emm

Reputable
Jun 9, 2019
CPU - Ryzen 3 3200G
Mobo - MSI B450M PRO M2
RAM - Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000 mhz, 1×8GB
PSU - Corsair VS 450

I was using a Ryzen 2200G till now. But somehow PC wasn’t turning on. I took it to a repair shop. There the guy told me CPU is dead and Mobo is faulty too. He fixed my motherboard and showed it working fine with another CPU. So I bought a new Ryzen 3200G online. Now the real story begins.

When I installs the CPU and tried to turn it on; no display was coming and PC keeps restarting. I checked for several times, but same issue. Some of the time (likely 10%) display turned on, showed BIOS screen, but no help, again it went to restart. My EZ debug LEDs are continuously switching between CPU and DRAM, then after 15-20 minutes it stops at CPU. If I restart the PC it again starts switching between those two.

After getting too much frustrated, I went to a friend, who has a different build with Ryzen 5 2600X and MSI B450M PRO VDH PLUS with a GTX 1660 TI. There I checked my board with his CPU and GPU, it worked fine. So in this case, my motherboard is working perfectly I guess. Then I checked my CPU on his board with all his components, again same issue.

Now the question arises if we have 3rd gen CPU support in the BIOS, because out of the box B450's were 2nd gen ready. The answer is yes, I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard. My friend has an older version but released after 3rd gen supported BIOS on his VDH plus.

I don't understand what to do now. I'm already invested in this [CENSORED] by taking debt, can't spend more to buy a new mobo, so that's out of the question. Please suggest me how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
PSU - Corsair VS 450
How old is your PSU?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Your current motherboard has no provision to reflash the BIOS without a processor that the BIOS currently doesn't support. You could try and reflash the BIOS chip using a CH341A BIOS programmer but I feel like your issue is more to do with your PSU and a possible grounding issue.

Sayantan Emm

Reputable
Jun 9, 2019
Thanks for responding mate.
My PSU is slightly over 5 years old.
Yes, I cleared CMOS every time.

But my BIOS has been updated to the latest version, which is E7B84AMS.2J1. That I confirmed by using my friend's 2600X with the GPU. So, hypothetically if we take into account that my moho has some problem with the BIOS, then it should run on my friend's B450M PRO VDH PLUS, but it didn’t. Though he has the proper BIOS which released after 3rd gen support, that means it should've run the 3200G.

And we can rule out the PSU and grounding issue, because I tested both of mine and my friend's system with the same PSU, and it worked perfectly fine with his 2600X, doesn’t matter on which mobo it had been mounted. Secondly, I tested in both mine and in his house. So if there'd be a grounding issue, how it could happen in both of places!

Any idea, what to do now? I'm literally getting lunatic.😑

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are running a BETA BIOS, go back to the last non-BETA BIOS and see if it works any better.

Beyond that, it is possible you got a faulty CPU. If it is new or used, see if you can return it. If not, see if AMD will honor a replacement.

Sayantan Emm

Reputable
Jun 9, 2019
You are running a BETA BIOS, go back to the last non-BETA BIOS and see if it works any better.

Beyond that, it is possible you got a faulty CPU. If it is new or used, see if you can return it. If not, see if AMD will honor a replacement.
I will try with the older BIOS.

Yeah, it could be the CPU. Let's see what that'll help.

Sayantan Emm

Reputable
Jun 9, 2019
CPU - Ryzen 3 3200G
Mobo - MSI B450M PRO M2
RAM - Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000 mhz, 1×8GB
PSU - Corsair VS 450

I was using a Ryzen 2200G till now. But somehow PC wasn’t turning on. I took it to a repair shop. There the guy told me CPU is dead and Mobo is faulty too. He fixed my motherboard and showed it working fine with another CPU. So I bought a new Ryzen 3200G online. Now the real story begins.

When I installs the CPU and tried to turn it on; no display was coming and PC keeps restarting. I checked for several times, but same issue. Some of the time (likely 10%) display turned on, showed BIOS screen, but no help, again it went to restart. My EZ debug LEDs are continuously switching between CPU and DRAM, then after 15-20 minutes it stops at CPU. If I restart the PC it again starts switching between those two.

After getting too much frustrated, I went to a friend, who has a different build with Ryzen 5 2600X and MSI B450M PRO VDH PLUS with a GTX 1660 TI. There I checked my board with his CPU and GPU, it worked fine. So in this case, my motherboard is working perfectly I guess. Then I checked my CPU on his board with all his components, again same issue.

Now the question arises if we have 3rd gen CPU support in the BIOS, because out of the box B450's were 2nd gen ready. The answer is yes, I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard. My friend has an older version but released after 3rd gen supported BIOS on his VDH plus.

I don't understand what to do now. I'm already invested in this [CENSORED] by taking debt, can't spend more to buy a new mobo, so that's out of the question. Please suggest me how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.
Friends, still the issue has not been solved. I claimed the replacement for the CPU I bought online. Today they've delivered a new processor. But still the same issue like before. I tested on my system as well as my friends, his 2600X is running like butter while my newest 3200G can't even giving a glimpse of display LOL. So pretty much I'm still in the dark. Didn't knew PC's can also have mood swings LOL.