Question I'm getting skipping in games, directly correlated to disk transfer rate. Any way to fix?

xjustice

Honorable
Oct 4, 2017
I'll preface by saying it doesn't happen in every game. I'm playing Palworld right now. Have my FPS rock solid locked to 60 FPS. I don't really have dips. I just have moments of freezing and frametime spikes and it directly correlates with transfer rate of disk. I'm on a Patriot 1TB Sata SSD, Windows 11 (Fully updated, this is a fresh install completely as of 2 days ago), 32GB 2666MHz RAM, RTX 2070, 850W PSU. GPU usage hovers around 80-90% while playing, CPU Usage at around 40-45% while playing. Temps: GPU 65-67C, CPU 82-85C.

I know the CPU is a bit hot, I just applied new thermal paste to it and it's still running a bit hot. I don't have another cooler to put it on it ATM but I don't think it's throttling causing this as I've seen it get up to 100C and run fine before the new thermal paste.

This happens even when standing still. It will just randomly spike and my FPS tanks from a locked 60 to the low 40's and then immediately goes back to 60. It's very jarring. I don't know if it happens in other games, I've really only played Palworld, FO76 and Halo: Infinite. The problem doesn't exist at all in Halo really, in FO76 it happens from time to time. It could just be a game engine problem, I'm not sure, but if I can eliminate it from happening I'd like to. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it?