Question Immense ping spikes and packet loss since last week ?

Apr 14, 2024
I've come to hopefully find a more conclusive solution on what's been causing my issues. Since last week, I've suffered incredible ping spikes/packet loss that has made doing just about anything (be it gaming, researching, talking in voice calls) impossible. This happens simultaneously across all devices, and it does not matter if I am on ethernet or wifi. This issue is characterized by my latency spiking to 100% on pingplotter (for approximately the same amount of time for the most part), my ping skyrocketing to 3000 and no pages loading. One thing I've noticed is that I can hear everybody in voice calls and watch streams perfectly fine, but I cannot load new pages and nobody can hear me until the end of the latency spike, which results in the people on the other end hearing everything I said in the period of latency but "all at once" (incredibly fast paced and incoherent). This has caused my games to have constant disconnects because of packet loss, which has been incredibly obnoxious.

These issues occur on hop 2, which narrows it down to either being an ISP or modem issue. I haven't had any notification from my ISP that the lines are down or damaged or anything. This seems to potentially be throttling or something of the sort which would be annoying as hell, because its almost nonexistent during non-peak hours.

I've replaced the cord between my router and modem, factory reset my modem, powercycled both my router and modem numerous times and have had no luck. The issue seems to happen in waves where I can go up to a few hours without any disconnects. I have a Hitron Coda-45 modem (I've heard the Puma-7 chipset has an issue, however that should be independent of traffic, these issues happen always around 3pm and last until 2am, when traffic dies down) and am asus rt-ax88u router. I won't be able to have a tech come in for another few weeks, so I am hoping that someone can help me interpret my pingplotter graph to see if there is potentially something I could do about it on the user end (bar replacing my modem, I don't have the money for that and we don't have non Puma-7s available in our area 💀) without having to wait too long. Pingplotter attached:

P9yN3VC.png

Anything puma related is old news. The new chipset have been fixed. They patch all the old chipset so it does not cause issues. The reason you see this is whoever wrote the puma test software wants to pretend they are still important. They have adjusted the test software so it can still show a problem but it is a artificial test case that does not represent real load.

In any case it did not cause symptoms like this. It very small lag spikes in games.

You have correctly diagnosed the problem. You have very little you can fix. Most times this is caused some cable issue. There is a rare chance it is caused by one of your neighbors connections somehow interfering with everyone else.

It would be very rare for a modem to be the cause. Not sure I would spend the money before the ISP came and tested and told be it was the modem. In this case it would be better to pay the extra and lease it because the ISP would just replace it as part of their visit to your house.

You can go around your house and make sure any wires you see are not damaged or seem to have gotten dirt or water in the connections. You want to be sure any connections are tight. To confirm it is not any wiring in your house you can test with the modem connected to the closet point the cable runs into your house. Some people have lots of splitters and other stuff in their walls.

In most cases it is something away from your house where only the ISP can fix it