Review Inland TD510 SSD Review: The First Widely Available PCIe 5.0 SSD

Yeah, I'm not going to pay that much for an NVMe drive that requires active cooling which doesn't even work properly.

My primary use for SSDs is game-loading. For that task, the difference between SATA-III and PCI-Express v4.0 is nigh imperceptible. Therefore, PCI-Express v5.0 wouldn't do anything except bleed my wallet dry.

Reactions: Order 66

johnwkuntz

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
The Inland TD510 is the first accessible baseline PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD, and it’s been priced aggressively. This makes it the first chance at getting this type of bandwidth for your desktop.

Inland TD510 SSD Review: The First Widely Available PCIe 5.0 SSD : Read more
Shane, I have to ask,,,are you deaf as a fence post? I bought the drive and after one evening in a Fractal Pop Air case I had to swap out the heatsink for this...

Warp Shield H​

Not only is the fan on the stock heatsink ineffective, It is unbelievably loud, How can something that small make that much noise? BTW I think this heatsink might also do the trick for those wanting something a tad smaller... https://www.wizmaxglobal.com/products/CATEGORY_ACCESSORIES/WARP-SHIELD-S
You just basically want something cooling both faces of the drive. Both are fairly cheap on Amazon.

terroralpha

Distinguished
Yeah, I'm not going to pay that much for an NVMe drive that requires active cooling which doesn't even work properly.

My primary use for SSDs is game-loading. For that task, the difference between SATA-III and PCI-Express v4.0 is nigh imperceptible. Therefore, PCI-Express v5.0 wouldn't do anything except bleed my wallet dry.

i got this SSD as a warranty replacement for a dead gen 4 inland SSD. it doesn't need the active cooling. the is a meme to make the SSD seem more "1337 gAm3r" for the kids who don't know any better.

i'm using the SSD heatsink that came with my asus X670E-E, and it works fine. i use this computer for work and gaming. it's on about 10 hours a day mon-fri. no issues in 5+ months of use.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
i got this SSD as a warranty replacement for a dead gen 4 inland SSD. it doesn't need the active cooling. the is a meme to make the SSD seem more "1337 gAm3r" for the kids who don't know any better.

i'm using the SSD heatsink that came with my asus X670E-E, and it works fine. i use this computer for work and gaming. it's on about 10 hours a day mon-fri. no issues in 5+ months of use.
It really blows my mind how these "current-gen" NVMe drives can get so hot when they're often not even being used at their top-rated speeds. It tells me that they're not overly-efficient.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023

I would say I disagree, because I do notice faster loading times going from my old system with a SATA SSD to my new system with an NVME SSD, but most of that is probably because I also went from an i5 6500 to a 7700x, and from an RX 550 to an RX 6800. I will say I do notice faster file copying speeds though, which is huge for me as I like to play games with mods, and some mods can be fairly large.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
I would say I disagree, because I do notice faster loading times going from my old system with a SATA SSD to my new system with an NVME SSD, but most of that is probably because I also went from an i5 6500 to a 7700x, and from an RX 550 to an RX 6800. I will say I do notice faster file copying speeds though, which is huge for me as I like to play games with mods, and some mods can be fairly large.
Yeah, it can make a difference in file-copying but I don't do that very often. The copies that I do make are generally game files moved over to one of my 8TB hard drives so that I only ever have to download a game once. If I feel like playing an older game that I haven't played in awhile, I just copy it back over. Sure, it might not be as fast as using a PCIe5 NVMe drive, but it's blazingly fast compared to downloading it from Steam again! :LOL:

They also don't get hot enough to do any damage to themselves or anything else and to me, that's a much bigger plus than having some extra speed. My system drive is a WD Black SN770 512GB PCIe4 NVMe and it gets noticeably hotter than any of my PCIe3 NVMe drives. I had a Lexar 2TB drive burn itself out and even though it was a PCIe3 NVMe, it made me pretty cautious about things like that. If a drive needs active cooling, I don't need that drive.