Question Integrated graphics and dedicated graphics on separate screens ?

May 9, 2024
Laptop model: HP Omen 16-ae0xxx

Laptop specs:
i7-14700HX
RTX 4070
32gb 5600mhz ram
Laptop Screen 165hz
External monitor 60hz

I was wondering if it would be beneficial (or possible) to run the laptop screen on the 4070 and the external monitor through integrated graphics only. System vitals show far more GPU utilization than CPU which makes sense for gaming dedicated to the 4070. However, the CPU temps run hotter....weird.

Worth noting that I have the external monitor hooked up to a display port on a "docking station" that is then connect to the laptop via usb-c from docking station. I did this so I don't have a bunch of cables on the desk. I could hook the external monitor up to the hdmi port on the laptop...

I've looked at 1. Nvidia 2. Omen Gaming Hub 3. Intel Arc 4. Windows settings>display>advanced display to find an option to select integrated or dedicated for either display. Could not find any options. However, it does show "Connected to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Laptop GPU" in both display information sections.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The thing with laptops is usually the graphics card runs through the igpu so it's unlikely you'll seperate the two.

Use a cooling pad and insulate the edges with foam strips so no air escapes from cooling pad out from the edges, that'll force most air possible through the laptop.

Reactions: eurorado
System vitals show far more GPU utilization than CPU which makes sense for gaming dedicated to the 4070. However, the CPU temps run hotter....weird.
Hotter compared to what?!
The CPU still has to run the game so it will be hot if it runs an intense game.

You would have to read the manual or just test it out, if the laptop has outputs that are physically connected to the iGPU or the dGPU then the display connected to it will use primarily that GPU for anything it displays.
Games will mostly call for the dGPU though no matter were they are connected to.

Reactions: eurorado
May 9, 2024
The thing with laptops is usually the graphics card runs through the igpu so it's unlikely you'll seperate the two.

Use a cooling pad and insulate the edges with foam strips so no air escapes from cooling pad out from the edges, that'll force most air possible through the laptop.
I will try the foam strips on the, admittedly cheap, cooling pad I have currently. THanks

May 9, 2024
Hotter compared to what?!
The CPU still has to run the game so it will be hot if it runs an intense game.

You would have to read the manual or just test it out, if the laptop has outputs that are physically connected to the iGPU or the dGPU then the display connected to it will use primarily that GPU for anything it displays.
Games will mostly call for the dGPU though no matter were they are connected to.
CPU Temp runs hotter at <10% utilization than the 4070 GPU at ~50-60% utilization is what I'm saying.

Currently, PUBG medium settings temp averages are CPU ~75C (<10% utilization) and GPU ~65C (~50% utilization). Which seems backwards. Would like to see both of these consistently under 70C for longevity's sake.

Will try undervolting i guess