Question internet symbol in bottom right on pc changing from ethernet to no internet to wifi

Nuplar

Honorable
Mar 26, 2019
My internet has been dropping lately and the symbol in the bottom right changes constantly some times. I can be in discord and my buddies voices do start cutting out and roboting.
I am plugged in with Ethernet.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

If using Ethernet then ensure that the wireless network adapter is disabled.

Only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) should be enabled at any given time. Barring specifically known reasons/requirements for doing otherwise.

Make and model information: modem, router, or modem/router if combined.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

The ethernet is likely failing for some reason and it is switching over to wifi. Generally this is how it is suppose to work say on a laptop that you would unplug from ethernet to move someplace else. On a desktop you most times don't want both ethernet and wifi active.

You key issue is to try to find why the ethernet is failing. The most common cause is a bad ethernet cable. Sometime they do not fit tight in jacks and work lose or you get some issue with wires that get loose internally in the plugs as they get warm.

The quickest thing to try is buy a new cable. Be very careful there is a massive amount of junk being sold. You only need cat5e but it must be pure copper and must be wire size 22-24 AWG. Check for these details clearly spelled out and if not buy from another vendor. The most common fake cables are those flat ones that have very thin wires.