Question Is it the charger or battery problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bignastyid

Titan
Grab the latest install from Microsoft(free download) and try again. You may need to do a repair install, which shouldn't be destructive like a clean install would be. Something definitely happened to the current install as booting to safe mode should have been safe and is a common troubleshooting method.

Apr 30, 2024
Grab the latest install from Microsoft(free download) and try again. You may need to do a repair install, which shouldn't be destructive like a clean install would be. Something definitely happened to the current install as booting to safe mode should have been safe and is a common troubleshooting method.
I mean at first it normally booted to safe mode but I turned it off and then the problem happened, also how do I install the latest version if 1) the laptop is not turning on 2) i don’t have any other device i could use to get it. As well as I don’t really know how to do the repair install, can I get more insight?

Apr 30, 2024
Hi it’s been a bit since your reply so I’ve messed a little with bios and advanced settings and I managed to get into safe mode again. Is there any way to figure something out from here ? I checked the safe mode with internet connection option? *edit* also everything seems to work fast just like before in the safe mode and only the resolution changed and scaled

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024
Hi it’s been a bit since your reply so I’ve messed a little with bios and advanced settings and I managed to get into safe mode again. Is there any way to figure something out from here or use the computer “normally” in this mode? I checked the safe mode with internet connection option? *edit* also everything seems to work fast just like before in the safe mode and only the resolution changed and scaled
Also, another idea, what if I try to revert to the old driver files in the ddu program since it did a backup and try to see if the windows turns on normally like before?

Apr 30, 2024
Run system file to checker first.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Then install the video drivers and try to boot into normal mode.
I ran the comments and at the first one it said something along the lines of system files restored and the second command didn’t find any missing files, and I booted the laptop in normal mode and it’s still stuck at dell logo. Do I try to restore the backup of old drivers?

bignastyid

Titan
I ran the comments and at the first one it said something along the lines of system files restored and the second command didn’t find any missing files, and I booted the laptop in normal mode and it’s still stuck at dell logo. Do I try to restore the backup of old drivers?
Did you install the video drivers after running sfc?

Apr 30, 2024
Did you install the video drivers after running sfc?
Yes I did. I also just got reminded something that might be important by a friend, a week ago we got a new game on steam and it recommended us a graphics driver update so I did that and after that I haven’t restarted my laptop for a couple of days I think the first restart was actually when the battery problem happened, as I said if not my friend I wouldn’t even remember that so I’m thinking it’s the drivers fault? What if I restore the old drivers and try to uninstall the newer version? What are u thinking and also I’m gonna ask about something else so we don’t go back and forth all the time, if not that then what can I try so I don’t spam you all the time? I’m sorry i’m really trying to get it fixed

Apr 30, 2024
Okay so update now many hours later. I managed to fix it I think, I don't know what exactly I did because it's been about 3 hours of messing with settings, cmd commands and uninstalling and installing things and drivers but I finally tuned on the laptop in normal mode and everything seems to be performing as before all the problems performance wise, its fast and works fine so far. I think a big help was the program that updates the drivers but picks the best performing versions over the newest ones what mightve be the problem, it's called SDIO

Apr 30, 2024
Another update, so after further using the laptop and trying to play Overwatch 2 I experienced horrible fps lose, do you think it could be the fact that I need the new battery as I first started the thread?