Question Is the 8GB RXT 4070 a good card?

Coldste

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
So looking at upgrading my GPU to play MSFS Microsoft flight simulator, current GPU is the 8GB RTX 3070. Went to an independent PC shop (used before so I trust him). He’s recommended that I upgrade to the 8GB 4070. I’m looking at playing my games with the best settings possible. Is it worth upgrading to this card the RTX 4070. The motherboard on my PC is a PRIME Z 590-P and 650w PSU. If that helps.

I was looking at getting a new PC that runs a 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 (this PC better RAM and an i9 processor and can run on ultra settings my current PC is a i7)

So is it worth upgrading to the RTX 4070 or is there a better card that I can use insted of buying a whole new PC?

Lutfij

Titan
650w PSU
650W is the advertised wattage of the unit, what is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

I’m looking at playing my games with the best settings possible.
What sort of titles do you want to play(without stating an etc) and at what resolution?

I wouldn't jump to the RTX4070 if you currently have the RTX3070. I'd wait till the 5000series comes out.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

logainofhades

Titan
The 4070 is a 12gb card. I would not buy one, unless you have a need for Nvidia's features. The 7900 gre is similar in cost, and faster, with more vram.

1440p-p.webp

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($544.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX RX-79GMERCB9 Radeon RX 7900 GRE 16 GB Video Card ($540.53 @ Amazon)
Total: $1085.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-14 12:26 EDT-0400

Coldste

Prominent
Feb 26, 2023
650w PSU
650W is the advertised wattage of the unit, what is the make and model of the unit and it's age?

I’m looking at playing my games with the best settings possible.
What sort of titles do you want to play(without stating an etc) and at what resolution?

I wouldn't jump to the RTX4070 if you currently have the RTX3070. I'd wait till the 5000series comes out.
Looked the PSU part number up and it came back as Corsair TX650M Model RPS0069. It’s mainly Flight Simulator that I use which is high demand, run older game like the Total War series. I use a 4k Samsung TV

The 4070 is a 12gb card. I would not buy one, unless you have a need for Nvidia's features. The 7900 gre is similar in cost, and faster, with more vram.
While the 7900GRE might average roughly around 15% higher performance in games without RT, in those with relatively heavy raytracing implementations it tends to fall behind by a similar degree or more. And those might arguably be considered the games where performance matters most, as they need all the performance they can get to keep things running smoothly, whereas games without raytraced effects tend to be less demanding to begin with. And RT is only likely to become more common over time. So while the additional VRAM might offer a performance advantage in some titles down the line, the additional RT performance of a 4070 would likely be more beneficial in other games. So I would say that neither is necessarily more future-proof than the other.

DLSS being somewhat better than FSR at upscaling is also relevant, since if it allows the 4070 to run at a lower render resolution for a comparable level of image quality in supported games, then the 7900GRE effectively loses some performance there, potentially removing its performance advantage in many titles without RT enabled as well.

So overall, my opinion is that the 7900GRE should be priced a bit lower than it is. It would be the superior option against a 4060 TI 16GB, but against a 4070 it's a bit more mixed, and overall I think the 4070's better upscaling, RT performance, and software ecosystem for things like AI may give it the edge moving forward. AMD really needs to be offering more than the competition at a given price point to gain against Nvidia's dominant market position, but they seem to be largely content with just matching Nvidia on pricing.

As for this particular case, you would want to make sure performance isn't getting limited by the CPU, since flight simulators tend to be very heavy on CPU performance. If the CPU is what's limiting performance, then adding more raw GPU performance might not actually improve much. An exception to this might be frame-generation, where the graphics card simulates a frame between two others to help smooth motion. This can introduce some input latency and visual artifacts, so it isn't ideal for many games, but for some slower-paced, CPU-limited titles like flight sims, it can potentially substantially improving the perceived frame rates. The RTX 40 series cards support frame generation in Microsoft Flight Simulator, though I don't know about other flight sims.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I'd wait till the 5000series comes out.
Or longer.

Make sure that dumb 12VHPWR connector and cable are gone or sorted. Make sure Nvidia doesn't cheap out again on everything but the 4090 equivelant.

I suspect that unless AMD pushes some major new competitor, Nvidia will be content with shipping the 5000-series as a refined 4000-series.

The faith is not strong with this one (me).

So looking at upgrading my GPU to play MSFS Microsoft flight simulator, current GPU is the 8GB RTX 3070. Went to an independent PC shop (used before so I trust him). He’s recommended that I upgrade to the 8GB 4070. I’m looking at playing my games with the best settings possible. Is it worth upgrading to this card the RTX 4070. The motherboard on my PC is a PRIME Z 590-P and 650w PSU. If that helps.
Are you sure you're being held back by GPU performance as opposed to CPU?

MSFS is notoriously CPU bound and greatly benefits from the L3 cache in AMD's X3D CPUs. It would be good to ensure you know which is your bottleneck before spending any money.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024

I was looking at getting a new PC that runs a 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 (this PC better RAM and an i9 processor and can run on ultra settings my current PC is a i7)

So is it worth upgrading to the RTX 4070 or is there a better card that I can use insted of buying a whole new PC?
I would upgrade to a good 850w or 1000w PSU and a 4070 Ti Super or 7900GRE.

Your CPU is the i7 11700K?
If you want a new PC an AMD would be a cheaper option with longer legs. That said, an intel 14700K build with a 4070 Ti Super would be as nice as it would be expensive. Very.