Question Is there any way to save up electricity consumption on a 1000W PSU? [New Build]

P1lgimag3

Reputable
Dec 21, 2020
After a month using my new build PC, i notice that my electricity bills goes up about 30%. What is probably a significant changes, is the PSU upgrade from 650W to 1000W. When i first planning the specs, i know that 1000W might be unnecessary for the build, and now i kind of regret it.

There is an increase in prices on higher electricity power, and its about 16% in my case. (I upgraded my house power from 2200VA to 3500VA)
I know the increase is probably fair, but i'm trying to save up for the next couple of months if possible.
My specs are:

• Windows 11 Pro
  • MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi
  • Intel i7 13700kf (overclocked to 4.3GHz but issue still present at stock speeds)
  • 2x16GB Corsair 6400Mhz (XMP on)
  • 6950XT MSI
  • 1TB SSD
  • Corsair RM1000X

Is there some ways i can try to lower my consumption?

I've read online 6950XT user tend to undervolt their GPU for consumption, does it work?

Or is there any windows/bios settings i can try?

Solution
The PC only consumes what it needs, not the potential max of the PSU (1,000W).

In addition, your elec bill going up by 30% is almost certainly not due to the new PC.
Contrary to popular belief, a PC is NOT a major consumer in the total household energy budget.

USAFRet

Titan
The PC only consumes what it needs, not the potential max of the PSU (1,000W).

In addition, your elec bill going up by 30% is almost certainly not due to the new PC.
Contrary to popular belief, a PC is NOT a major consumer in the total household energy budget.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Only one way to lower PSU consumption (and it is very very marginal) is to opt for a Platinum or Titanium efficiency model. They will waste less electricity.

When a PSU delivers 600w to your system, it draws more than 600w from the wall. That's what those Bronze, Gold, Platinum, etc ratings signify.

But again, the saving in electricity is very small. A greater benefit of Platinum or greater PSUs is their overall build quality and silent operation.

As others have said, your PC is not likely to spike your energy usage by such a great amount.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, unless you went from not using a high end gaming PC to using one constantly, or switched from a relatively efficient gaming laptop.

500W * 8 Hours = 4kWh a day (a bit much, but easy numbers). 120 kWh a month. About $20 a month in electricity in the US. 30+ pounds in the UK, and about 30 Euro in Europe in general.

That would be a significant percentage of my bill, though it wouldn't come quite to that much Net, since that would mean opting for that activity vs other electricity consuming options.

Seasonal changes often have more impact than anything else.