News Jim Keller suggests Nvidia should have used Ethernet to stitch together Blackwell GPUs — Nvidia could have saved billions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slightnitpick

Proper
Nov 2, 2023
Nowadays, I just want things to work, be reasonably secure, don't invade my privacy, and be out of my way as much as possible so I can quickly do whatever I need to do with them.
I understand.
Not sure if you are following, but Apple was ordered to remove a provision from the 3rd party store agreement -- basically Apple wanted to ensure that apps in 3rd party stores must exist in their store but the EU said no.
That seems somewhat okay to me as long as Apple isn't allowed to ban apps and third party stores because they won't allow a particular app into the Apple store. (I.E. Apple shouldn't have the power to moderate other stores apps, and should be forced to allow third party apps that are not in the Apple app store to be installed if it is Apple's choice to not allow those apps into their store.)
You need Microsoft Authenticator? Sure, grab Microsoft Store and accept all sort of spying and ads hidden at the bottom of 57-th page of ToS just to get it.
One of my jobs uses Teams and Outlook, required 2FA, and didn't turn on the flag to allow a Yubikey. I ended up downloading Aegis authenticator from F-droid and it authenticates just fine. A company would really have to go out of their way to lock down 2FA to prevent any time-based authenticator from working. Any push-pull authentication seems more vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks and shouldn't be preferred over time-based 2FA.
Want Instagram? Even worse, deal with Meta directly. Adobe? They'll have a store too, why not. Amazon? Ditto. So basically, instead of having one store to pay and download stuff from you will have dozens. Good luck managing all those subscriptions.
Honestly I would like to go back to buying a product from a website. There was an ease in transactions in those days that isn't around anymore. But that was also in the days before subscriptions, when you bought a product and owned it.

It would make things a lot easier for the likes of me who doesn't want to connect my phone to a Google ID.
And don't tell me that won't affect me because it will even if I don't need any of those apps -- Apple will have to play whack-a-mole with 3rd party stores because they'll keep coming up with ways to subvert the built-in security and privacy mechanisms in the OS. Overall, the plaftorm will be weakened for everyone just because a handful of loudmouths wanted to have their cake and eat it.
As a person who uses Linux in daily life there are things I go without. You're free to go without, too.

For most app developers, even the large ones, the friction involved in requiring a person to install another app store is large enough that they'll lose business by not having their app available on the major stores. I'd be surprised if, other than games, which already have Steam and maybe the Epic store in the future, there's a large migration away from the Apple app store.

Reactions: bit_user