Question Laptop crashing, mostly with "Clock Watchdog Timeout" error ?

May 2, 2024
My laptop is an MSI Raider GE76 12UE running Windows 11

I've recently started to get BSOD crashes. Most of the time, it is clock_watchdog_time out. Sometimes, the screen freezes, and you can't click or do anything, just the last image frozen. Other Errors I have also gotten are "Attempted to write to read-only memory" and Machine check exception." A lot of times, it would just freeze on the BSOD, so it was not able to create a dump file.

My laptop has been working great for about a year, but now I get this all the time, sometimes right after boot. I log in, and then it crashes. On another forum, they mentioned overheating, but my vents are clean. I'm not sure if the thermal paste would go bad in less than a year. It even crashed during a Windows clean install, making me think it may be hardware. It seems to be able to stay on for long periods of time in safe mode, so maybe it is the driver.

Things I have attempted:

Updating all drivers using Driver Booster​
Manually updating graphic drivers​
Windows Reset removing all files​
MSI reset to factory settings​
I ran a mem test and it came back clean​
I ran DISM and SFC repair scans. They said they repaired something, but then it would just crash again.​
Updated BIOS​
Reset BIOS to defaults (never really messed with this to begin with)​

Here are the mini dumps and logs I was able to get, they seem to indicate something with the intel CPU, but I am at a loss of what to do/try next.

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...ourcekey=0-EsViFmNd2yUDmYUIfczfzA&usp=sharing

Let me know if you need anything else.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Updating all drivers using Driver Booster
If you want to see whether your platform needs a driver update, don't use a third party app that has been known to brick platforms, instead cross reference it with your existing drivers and the one listed on your laptop's support site.

intelppm.sys
win32kbase.sys
GenuineIntel.sys

Recreate your bootable USB installer, then install the OS anew while in offline mode, then manually install all relevant drivers(with their latest versions) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I went through other dmp files you've listed in your link, but I stuck to 2024 since the others looked like you were on Windows 8.1

May 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Updating all drivers using Driver Booster
If you want to see whether your platform needs a driver update, don't use a third party app that has been known to brick platforms, instead cross reference it with your existing drivers and the one listed on your laptop's support site.

intelppm.sys
win32kbase.sys
GenuineIntel.sys

Recreate your bootable USB installer, then install the OS anew while in offline mode, then manually install all relevant drivers(with their latest versions) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I went through other dmp files you've listed in your link, but I stuck to 2024 since the others looked like you were on Windows 8.1
Thanks for the reply. I did not know that was a bad thing to use, lol. Anyway, I have done a clean install. I do have a question now. For the drivers, should I do both or just one when there are several options? For example, I see on the website that some of them have several drivers. I probably just want to choose one, right? To avoid driver conflicts, so for the wireless LAN, I should do either Killer or Intel but not both.

Similarly, in audio there is Nahimic and Realtek I just do one right?

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE76-12UX/support?sub_product=Raider-GE76-12UGS#driver