News Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 7 is the world's first laptop to sport LPCAMM2 memory — more compact, higher performance, lower power

TheJoker2020

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
I sure hope that when the AMD Strix Halo products release, at least some of them will be using LPCAMM2 modules rather than being soldered on memory. That would make for excellent mobile workstations as the RAM could be bumped up to huge amounts, and of course that includes the available RAM for the graphics as well.

Plus of course for bare-bones Mini PC's where space would still be a premium when you double the RAM bus width from 128-bit to 256-bit.

NOTE: LPCAMM2 modules are 128-bit, so one of these modules would replace 2x typical DDR5 SO-DIMM's, so AMD Strix Halo would still require two LPCAMM2 modules and because they sit flat on the motherboard and can not be overlapped the motherboard space would still be a premium and it will still be a tight fit.!

Reactions: slightnitpick

TheJoker2020

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
"ideal high-performance memory solution for handling AI PC and complex workloads"
I love how even a memory connector has to have an AI angle these days...
It's just typical marketing buzzword usage, and when "AI" (machine learning is it's real, non-marketing name) stops having any "buzz" they will come up with something else, with any luck it will be less irritating than "AI".

NOTE: LPCAMM2 modules are 128-bit, so one of these modules would replace 2x typical DDR5 SO-DIMM's, so AMD Strix Halo would still require two LPCAMM2 modules and because they sit flat on the motherboard and can not be overlapped the motherboard space would still be a premium and it will still be a tight fit.!
This is not actually a requirement they can be 64 or 128, but the ones referred to here are 128. When they're in 64-bit form they can stack on top of one another which would in theory allow for higher capacity in less space.

edit: I have a pic of the spec somewhere, but don't think I'd uploaded it so have to find it...

edit2: found it
ME0SABY.jpeg

Last edited:

Evil_Overlord

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
...and despite being 64% smaller and easier to install/remove, they will still locate the LPCAMM2 in the most inconvenient place.

slightnitpick

Proper
Nov 2, 2023
They're so low profile is it possible someone, someday, would make a motherboard that allowed memory to be placed on the other side?

TheJoker2020

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
This is not actually a requirement they can be 64 or 128, but the ones referred to here are 128. When they're in 64-bit form they can stack on top of one another which would in theory allow for higher capacity in less space.

edit: I have a pic of the spec somewhere, but don't think I'd uploaded it so have to find it...

edit2: found it
ME0SABY.jpeg
Thanks, this is useful information (y)

TheJoker2020

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
They're so low profile is it possible someone, someday, would make a motherboard that allowed memory to be placed on the other side?
There would be a few problems doing this, but it would certainly be possible. Upgradability would be a serious problem and the system would have to be designed with this in mind from the outset so that the end user has access to both sides of the motherboard, which in the case of laptops, tablets etc this would mean designing in a cutout on the keyboard side as well as the bottom side, and would mean that the laptop or tablet would be that little bit thicker. And when it comes to a Mini PC (NUC size or similar), this would mean that the end user would most likely need to remove the heatsink/fan. And for either of these designs, if the LPCAMM2 modules were opposite each other then this would increase motherboard complexity as all of those traces would be side by side and that would most likely increase costs, so whilst this is certainly possible, I cannot foresee this happening, but that will certainly be answered when more of these things start to roll out, and especially when something like Strix Halo comes out and if laptops / Mini PC's are released with LPCAMM2. This is certainly an interesting and exciting new technology.

Reactions: slightnitpick