Question Linux Mint not deleting from Boot Options

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a laptop with dual-boot (Windows and Linux Mint). The drive is around 500GB and I allocated 50GB to Linux Mint.

Today I launched Linux Mint from live boot (USB stick) and formatted and deleted the allocated drive space (partition) for Linux Mint so now there is 50GB empty space unallocated - there was an option to expand the size of the Windows partition (and use the free 50GB) in Disks software - is it fine to do that or will it affect the Windows installation (currently just has the initial install where you are asked to set up Windows)?

Also, I went into the BIOS to remove the Linux Mint (shows up as ubuntu) boot option and selected delete boot option from the UEFI/BIOS but it still shows up. Then I tried the following which did not work: efibootmgr -b [ubuntu boot option number] -B

Could you please help with the two issues above. Ideally, I would like to fix the issues without having to log into Windows if possible.

Thank you!
:)

there was an option to expand the size of the Windows partition (and use the free 50GB) in Disks software - is it fine to do that or will it affect the Windows installation?
Show screenshot from Disk Management first.
(upload to imgur.coim and post link)
Also, I went into the BIOS to remove the Linux Mint (shows up as ubuntu) boot option and selected delete boot option from the UEFI/BIOS but it still shows up. Then I tried the following which did not work: efibootmgr -b [ubuntu boot option number] -B
Format bootloader partition.
On legacy/CSM system bootloader partition uses NTFS. On UEFI system bootloader partition uses FAT32 file system.
format h: /fs:ntfs
or​
format h: /fs:fat32
and reinstall windows bootloader.
bcdboot c:\windows /s h:
C: - windows OS partition, H: - bootloader partition.
Replace drive letters accordingly to your configuration.

Last edited:

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Show screenshot from Disk Management first.
(upload to imgur.coim and post link)

Format bootloader partition.
On legacy/CSM system bootloader partition uses NTFS. On UEFI system bootloader partition uses FAT32 file system.
format h: /fs:ntfs
or​
format h: /fs:fat32
and reinstall windows bootloader.
bcdboot c:\windows /s h:
C: - windows OS partition, H: - bootloader partition.
Replace drive letters accordingly to your configuration.
Thanks very much SkyNetRising :)
I managed to remove Linux Mint (ubuntu) from the boot menu.

I have attached a screenshot from Disks (Linux Mint disk management).
Is it fine to just add the 50GB of free space (was originally allocated to Windows before I installed Linux Mint and later removed it) onto the Windows partition (OS Partition 3 in the screenshot attached)? Would doing so negatively affect the Windows partition (it is currently just a new install of Windows, pre-setup where you turn the computer on and you are asked to set up Windows for the first time)?
Thanks again!
View: https://imgur.com/a/V3189Zy

Is it fine to just add the 50GB of free space (was originally allocated to Windows before I installed Linux Mint and later removed it) onto the Windows partition (OS Partition 3 in the screenshot attached)? Would doing so negatively affect the Windows partition?
If unused space is right next to the partition (to the right), you're trying to extend, then yes - you can extend.

Reactions: donline