Question Liquid cooler comes with a PWM pump plug but my board has voltage controlled headers ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Most AIO pump plugs are 4-pin PWM. My board only has 1 PWM header for CPU fans(which should be used with the rad fans) and the rest of them are voltage controlled.

I have heard that the pump should always run at 100% RPM...So can I do the following :

- Should I connect a 4-pin PWM pump plug into a voltage controlled header on the board ?

- or should I just use a molex to 4-pin adapter ?

Reactions: Maybe not 80
Arctic Liquid freezer III 240.
Gigabyte Z170x gaming 3

CPU_FAN is PWM
CPU_OPT/SYS_FAN x are all voltage controlled....

How should I install the AIO ?
That one has only two 120mm fans, look at cooler's manual and connect pump in same loop with fans to CPU_FAN on the MB.
Pumps on those coolers are not adjustable and will run at full speed all the time anyway.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, with that cooler system use the "All-In-One" cable (NOT the "Individual Control" one) and connect it to the mobo CPU_FAN header. Ensure the header is set to "Normal" control so the mobo WILL alter the rad fan speeds according to CPU temperature. ALSO in the mobo header configuration (mobo manual p. 27) ensure the CPU/CPU_OPT System Fan Fail Warning is ENabled so you WILL get a warning of the system fails. This will run the PUMP at full speed all the time (I think! that is its intent) and the RAD FAN speeds will vary to control cooling. However, I suspect that what the BIOS will tell you for the CPU_FAN speed is actually the PUMP speed, and you will NOT see the rad fan speeds anywhere.

Reactions: CountMike
Yeah, with that cooler system use the "All-In-One" cable (NOT the "Individual Control" one) and connect it to the mobo CPU_FAN header. Ensure the header is set to "Normal" control so the mobo WILL alter the rad fan speeds according to CPU temperature. ALSO in the mobo header configuration (mobo manual p. 27) ensure the CPU/CPU_OPT System Fan Fail Warning is ENabled so you WILL get a warning of the system fails. This will run the PUMP at full speed all the time (I think! that is its intent) and the RAD FAN speeds will vary to control cooling. However, I suspect that what the BIOS will tell you for the CPU_FAN speed is actually the PUMP speed, and you will NOT see the rad fan speeds anywhere.
That pump does not report RPM so only fan speed is reported, neither the fan on the pump as they are run by same motor.