News LogoFAIL exploit bypasses hardware and software security measures and is nearly impossible to detect or remove

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Nord_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2022
I think the key difference is that legacy BIOS has the logo embedded directly in the BIOS binary, itself. You probably can't modify it, separately.
What reportable information do you have to say that's probable? You're raising the noise floor effectively. At least see if your handy security devices (Home Safe, PiHole 2024, what u got) are monitoring to keep the proximal objects away (if not other vectors producing them once they pwn the first old router they can get to.)

InvalidError

Titan
You are right, nowadays there is no difference. Modern BIOS are much better than old ones on this side.
I don't remember any of my PCs with boot-time motherboard images delaying boot in any meaningful way. The only thing those ever did as far as I can tell is hide POST/boot messages.

However, I do remember some GPUs from 20+ years ago having an obnoxious boot-time image that couldn't be disabled and THAT did lengthen boot time since the GPU was stalling boot during video BIOS initialization for several seconds to ensure the monitor managed to sync and warm up enough to show output before letting the computer boot.

One of my friends had me repair an old Samsung LCD last summer and it had a boot image of its own that took about three seconds to go away, which would be quite annoying if it had an LED backlight. It was a CCFL one though, and those do take a minute to warm up before brightness stabilizes.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
One of my friends had me repair an old Samsung LCD last summer and it had a boot image of its own that took about three seconds to go away, which would be quite annoying if it had an LED backlight. It was a CCFL one though, and those do take a minute to warm up before brightness stabilizes.
At work, I got a cheap 4k monitor, a little while back. It was basically the cheapest 32" that seemed decent. It was a Samsung VA monitor (not curved, though). It's probably from about 2016 or a bit later, I'd guess. It supports FreeSync, but only up to 60 Hz - so, really not a proper gaming monitor.

Anyway, it has like a 2-3 second turn-on delay (possibly more). Really annoying. I can't imagine it's CFL though. I'd much rather it turn on immediately, even if the image is low-contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.