Question M.2 Nvme not working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 22, 2024
I need help trying my m.2 trying to work,

specs:

B450 steel legend mother board 3.7 version
6700xt graphics car
5600x cpu
48gb ram
1tb sata drive
200 gb ssd sata

I’ve tried two diff ssds in both ports, 970 evo and crucial t500 I thought it was a compatibility so I returned the evo and got the crucial but it’s not showing up in bios idk if I have to update but I’m scared too because there’s a specific version of bios for 5000 and series so idk if I can I’ve been going abt this for a week, help please!

Yes but it’s not showing nvme ports at all like if there not on the mother board,
What windows version are you using?
For example windows 7 doesn't have native NVME support.
Several hotfixes and nvme drivers have to be installed, for NVME drive to be detected in windows 7.

On windows 10 - it may also be necessary to install NVME drivers.
Can you show screenshots from:
Device Manager - disk drives and storage controllers sections expanded,​
Disk Management and​
Windows Storage Spaces (ControlPanel/Storage Spaces).​
Also remake last screenshot with all drives connected (actually readable screenshot, not a blurry mess).
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Apr 22, 2024
The
What windows version are you using?
For example windows 7 doesn't have native NVME support.
Several hotfixes and nvme drivers have to be installed, for NVME drive to be detected in windows 7.

On windows 10 - it may also be necessary to install NVME drivers.
Can you show screenshots from:
Device Manager - disk drives and storage controllers sections expanded,​
Disk Management and​
Windows Storage Spaces (ControlPanel/Storage Spaces).​
Also remake last screenshot with all drives connected (actually readable screenshot, not a blurry mess).
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
blurry one was a reference pic off of Google that I found, it shows the last two ports being m.2 and all of mine are only sata drives

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That was very misleading. We thought it was photo from your pc.
Agreed. That was a no-no unless you are VERY CLEAR on what is represented.

At this point, I am inclined to think that your motherboard is defective. You (potentially) may have shorted the m.2 sockets when you installed SSDs earlier without securing them properly with the retention screw.

Just to be sure, when you have been working inside your rig, like when installing SSDs and moving SATA cables, have you been disconnecting the power supply (at a minimum)?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024
Agreed. That was a no-no unless you are VERY CLEAR on what is represented.

At this point, I am inclined to think that your motherboard is defective. You (potentially) may have shorted the m.2 sockets when you installed SSDs earlier without securing them properly with the retention screw.

Just to be sure, when you have been working inside your rig, like when installing SSDs and moving SATA cables, have you been disconnecting the power supply (at a minimum)?
What I do is turn on pc, click the power button off, then unplug pc, then I insert my m.2 then plug in turn everything on, I will be more upfront,

But my ports are not being detected idk if it’s the lanes or if it plugs into anything my slots are not showed in bios