Question Master Chief Collection not saving controls when I quit the game ?

May 3, 2024
I have the Master Chief Collection on Steam and I haven't used my computer in a while. Unfortunately there's this thing where every time I start the game it asks me what input method I want to use and I keep clicking mouse & keyboard. On top of that every time I quit out the game it seems to change my controls and it doesn't save for some reason. I tried restoring the controls to default, quitting the game and entering back again, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, changing controls and setting for all games, clearing game cache, repairing library, and verifying the game's files, and neither of those worked. If anyone could let me know how to fix that I would really appreciate it.

Do you by chance have both KB/M and Gamepad connected to your PC when you launch the game? If so, just make sure you unplug the Gamepad before launching it.

If this is NOT the problem, you might be able to use the WindowsNoEditor file, the location of which is shown here...
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Halo:_The_Master_Chief_Collection
...and after making sure default input device is set to KB/M, set the file to read only.

I would also advise setting a copy of that file aside before editing it.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024
Do you by chance have both KB/M and Gamepad connected to your PC when you launch the game? If so, just make sure you unplug the Gamepad before launching it.
I'm not using an external mouse and keyboard. I also don't have a controller on me.
If this is NOT the problem, you might be able to use the WindowsNoEditor file, the location of which is shown here...
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Halo:_The_Master_Chief_Collection
...and after making sure default input device is set to KB/M, set the file to read only.

I would also advise setting a copy of that file aside before editing it.
I downloaded WindowsNoEditor from a different website, and I'm not sure what to do in order to set the default input device to KB/M. If you could walk me through the process that would be great!

I'm not using an external mouse and keyboard. I also don't have a controller on me.

I downloaded WindowsNoEditor from a different website, and I'm not sure what to do in order to set the default input device to KB/M. If you could walk me through the process that would be great!
I wouldn't recommend, and didn't suggest, DLing such a file. It should have been already IN the game files at the location shown on that PCGamingWiki page I linked to.

May 3, 2024
I wouldn't recommend, and didn't suggest, DLing such a file. It should have been already IN the game files at the location shown on that PCGamingWiki page I linked to.
How do I access that file? I don't see a file called WindowsNoEditor under the directory of the same name.

Last edited:
How do I access that file? I don't see a file called WindowsNoEditor under the directory of the same name.

Which location/path are you looking into ? The config file should be located here.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\MCC\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

The AppData folder is actually "hidden" in windows by default, You you need to enable the "show hidden files/folders" option:

May 3, 2024
Which location/path are you looking into ? The config file should be located here.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\MCC\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

The AppData folder is actually "hidden" in windows by default, You you need to enable the "show hidden files/folders" option:

I couldn't find the WindowsNoEditor file, however MCC had an update and I guess that fixed the problem. Thank you guys for your help.