Question Memory overclock noob.

CIGAARR

Reputable
Oct 14, 2019
Hi,
So I have 3600mhz ram, but when enabling XMP after a few days I would get boot loop on start up.
Instead I have had it on auto for a long time (Years maybe) and been running it at the stock 2133mhz.

But today I thought perhaps the XMP profile is setting the timings wrong and I would manually enter them.
When I set to speed to 3600 and restart, I looked at the timings and yes they were like 23 - something - something, way off the actual timings rated.

So I tried to manually changed them to the rated timings of CL17-18-18-38.
But I dont really know what im doing and if the settings I changed are the right ones because in the Dram timing section of the bios there is a huge list of settings, but I saw a video saying just worry about the top 5 options. So thats what I changed.

I just wanted to claifiy thats correct?

The motherboard settings look like this after I changed them:

DRAM CAS# Latency 17
DRAM RAS# to CAS# READ Delay 18
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay 18
DRAM RAS# PRE Time 18
DRAM RAS# ACT Time 38

This is all I changed. everything else is default/auto.
I dont really know what im doing not sure if what I changed is even the correct settings or not, also I didnt want to touch voltage or anything.

Is it ok to run like this?
Any help greatly appreciated.

So here are my PC Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC II 360 ARGB 80.95 CFM Liquid AIO CPU Cooler
Memory: G.SKILL F4-AG.SKILL F4-3600C17D-16GTZR 16 GB (8 GB x 2) Trident Z RGB Series DDR4 3600 MHz CL17-18-18-38
Graphics Card (GPU):ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X OC (ROG-STRIX-RTX4080-O16G-GAMING)

XMP applies to Intel, but many amd motherboards will read those settings and translate.

If you got things to work, great.
Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you have a problem, try setting the ram voltage increasingly higher.

Reactions: 35below0