Question Memtest64 found over 600 errors after 14 passes

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
So I had some random issues yesterday which was resolved by clearing the CMOS:

I got my 7800XT back today and put it back into my PC without any issues.

After playing WoW for a while I started to get a random error I've never seen before.
It was an ACCESS VIOLATION memory error.
A quick google search suggest I run Memtest to check the RAM.

- I ran Memtest64 and after 14 passes it was showing 600+ errors (XMP enabled)
- I disabled XMP and ran it again - no errors
- I turned XMP back on ran it again - no errors (XMP enabled)
- I tried the windows memory diagnostic tool - no errors (XMP enabled)
- Tried Memtest86 - No errors (XMP enabled)

My questions simple:
Does the fact Memtest64 picked up errors the first time indicate there 'something' wrong with either RAM, Mobo or CPU?
Or since I turned XMP on and off and it is now error free, is it possible it was a one off?

Last edited:
It could have been when turning on XMP the first time it didn't load the values right. By turning it off and then back on again could have fixed it.

Give it a week of gaming and if no issues then write it off as a on off issue, if you want you could run memtest again after that week just to make sure.

Reactions: Sparkster2348

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
It could have been when turning on XMP the first time it didn't load the values right. By turning it off and then back on again could have fixed it.

Give it a week of gaming and if no issues then write it off as a on off issue, if you want you could run memtest again after that week just to make sure.
Thanks, have been gaming for a couple of hours now with no issues.

Run cpu-Z to see what ram settings you are actually using.
If it shows that you are actually using one of the valid xmp settings, then I might write it off as a one time thing.
Your sig shows 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 CL36 6000 16GB
What is the actual part number?
Where did you buy it?
Is it a single 2 x 16gb kit that was packaged together by G.skil?
Some unscrupluous vendors package two sticks drawn from a volume order that costs them less, but the sticks are not matched.
Is it possible that you have two ram sticks with the same part number, each having slightly different XMP settings embedded.
Two sticks not in the same kit will not be matched and may not perform to spec.

Sparkster2348

Commendable
Feb 6, 2022
Run cpu-Z to see what ram settings you are actually using.
If it shows that you are actually using one of the valid xmp settings, then I might write it off as a one time thing.
Your sig shows 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 CL36 6000 16GB
What is the actual part number?
Where did you buy it?
Is it a single 2 x 16gb kit that was packaged together by G.skil?
Some unscrupluous vendors package two sticks drawn from a volume order that costs them less, but the sticks are not matched.
Is it possible that you have two ram sticks with the same part number, each having slightly different XMP settings embedded.
Two sticks not in the same kit will not be matched and may not perform to spec.
Thanks I will look into this more.

Just an update - I had no problems since last posting until today, the error randomly occurred whilst gaming. Followed by a BSOD about 30 mins later.

Turned XMP back off, no issues for the last hour

Ram is under warranty so either way I will look to RMA it.