Question My laptop's wifi keeps disconnecting itself!

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
Hello!

I have a lenovo legion 5 laptop running windows 11,with an intel wifi 6 AX 201 (for 2 yrs no issues), lately for a month now, whenever i turn the wifi on, it works fine, but it gets disconnected after around a minute, after i manually reconnect, it usually stays connected and doesn't get turned off again. (sometimes does tho), at first i thought it's a software problem so i did all the usual trouble shooting steps (clean instalation of wifi drivers from both Intel and lenovo websites, etc) nothing worked.

i have another hard drive with windows 10 on it, and today i boot into that one and same thing happens there as well, does anyone know what's happening? (it should be a hardware problem at this point)

Also same thing happens with other wifi routers (it's not the router's problem)

PS: this picture is a guide i found on YouTube, is this legit?
View: https://imgur.com/a/JX60Vby

The cards are fairly inexpensive and if you can replace it without major disassembly that might be your easiest choice.

Note be very sure your machine is using ax201. This is what is called CNVIO interface. These cards are special and dependent on the chipset in the computer to function. Just to be safe check that any card you replace it with is also CNVIO.

I would actually look for a AX211 based intel card. This is the newer wifi6e and it is also CNVIO. It will function the same as the ax201 it just has the ability to run on the 6ghz radio band. What you will find there is almost no difference in price between a ax201 and a ax211, in some cases the ax201 is more expensive.
The theory I have seen floated is most the manufacture switched over to the ax211 and fewer make the older ax201.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Does it happen on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands? Consider changing them.
If your LT has been banged around, maybe one of the antennas came disconnected.

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to use Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer to discover any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may be being captured just before or at the time of the disconnects.

Could be other reasons: run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) on the laptop and post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results to post here.

Objective being to discover more about the laptop, its' network/wifi configuration, and any other problems that could be occurring.

Could be a loose antenna, a corrupted driver, some other app/utility doing/trying to do things in the background or even some misconfiguration.....

The objective being to discover the root problem - one way or another.