Question networking on frontier fiber question

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i just got fiber internet and they gave me the eero routers. but it seems the internet speed is just all over the place, one time i get 500 up-dn. i'm paying for 500 up-dn and then 5 min later is may be 100 dn and 400 up. i have tried lots of things to get this corrected and it all fails. i'm leaning on the eero wired part of the network issue.

so can anyone tell me if i can take my ea7500 netgear router and connect that to the frontier modem and then plug that into my network lan system and have that work and just take the eero routers out of the network or maybe use them as extended routers?

So how does the internet connect.

Is there a modem/ont type box the fiber connects to or does it connect directly to the EERO router.

So first I will assume you are testing with a ethernet connected directly to the ISP EERO router. If you are using wifi then you will get random results.

Assuming there is not some kind of restriction by the ISP to use there router you should be able to use your router. I would first do the easy test of plugging directly into the ONT box. If you still see strange results the problem might be outside your house.

Maybe try other speedtest servers. Could be the server is overloaded.

kanewolf

Titan
i just got fiber internet and they gave me the eero routers. but it seems the internet speed is just all over the place, one time i get 500 up-dn. i'm paying for 500 up-dn and then 5 min later is may be 100 dn and 400 up. i have tried lots of things to get this corrected and it all fails. i'm leaning on the eero wired part of the network issue.

so can anyone tell me if i can take my ea7500 netgear router and connect that to the frontier modem and then plug that into my network lan system and have that work and just take the eero routers out of the network or maybe use them as extended routers?
Yes, if you have an ethernet cable coming from the ONT or if you have a coax to ethernet modem, you can use any router you desire.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
the fiber comes into some type of black box and then the eero connectos to that with a standard type cat6 cable

i have the eero wired into my netgear 24 port system and then i have a netgeat 5 port hube connected to the main hub and the pc plugged into that.
that is how i have the comcast c3700 modem/router connected before i got fiber

when i do the phone app speed test on the modem i get 525 up and 510 dn all day long.

do you know anything about the hp port replicators? i'm using the 3005pr 3.0 port replicator now that plugs into the hp elitebook 745 3500u laptop usb port with the ss the 3 prongs and the lightning bolt next to the port? could that port replicator be the issue or maybe the use port on my laptop?

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok thanks i have a new usb-c port replicator in the mail and if that fails i will try doing this with the ea7500v2 router and rest it for router mode and see if that helps. i figure i can use those eero router and plug them into my satellite hubs to get extended range if i really need to.