Question New build, but when I try to turn it on this happens (see video), and then it restarts and does it again ?

slightnitpick

Proper
Nov 2, 2023
From your motherboard manual, page 29: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWKMAXWIFI.pdf

EZ Debug LED
These LEDs indicate the debug status of the motherboard.

VGA - indicates GPU/ PCIE/ M.2 device is not detected or fail.
BOOT - indicates the booting device is not detected or fail
Unfortunately I do not use a desktop or tower computer, so can't be certain that I'm giving you good advice. But from this I believe it's most likely that your Crucial SSD is not properly plugged in, or is otherwise faulty. Can you check that it is properly connected? Make sure you have discharged any static electricity and have taken off your shoes/socks, unplug your computer and open the case, and disconnect and reconnect the SSD.

I think this is good advice to start with, though I'd be happier if another person with more recent experience pipes in before you try anything.

May 19, 2024
From your motherboard manual, page 29: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWKMAXWIFI.pdf

Unfortunately I do not use a desktop or tower computer, so can't be certain that I'm giving you good advice. But from this I believe it's most likely that your Crucial SSD is not properly plugged in, or is otherwise faulty. Can you check that it is properly connected? Make sure you have discharged any static electricity and have taken off your shoes/socks, unplug your computer and open the case, and disconnect and reconnect the SSD.

I think this is good advice to start with, though I'd be happier if another person with more recent experience pipes in before you try anything.

It’s connected correctly but it still happens.

Does anything appear on the screen during this?

If it was stopping the boot process due to anything the debug lights were picking up it would just halt on the fault and not reboot.

I'd suggest disconnecting/removing everything from the system except for CPU/DRAM/video card including all of the power cables and then reconnect just the power needed for the motherboard (so 24 pin ATX and 8/4+4 pin EPS12V cables) and then the 8/6+2 pin PCIe power cable(s) to the video card and seeing if it stops on boot (this is what it should do with no storage connected).

May 19, 2024
Does anything appear on the screen during this?

If it was stopping the boot process due to anything the debug lights were picking up it would just halt on the fault and not reboot.

I'd suggest disconnecting/removing everything from the system except for CPU/DRAM/video card including all of the power cables and then reconnect just the power needed for the motherboard (so 24 pin ATX and 8/4+4 pin EPS12V cables) and then the 8/6+2 pin PCIe power cable(s) to the video card and seeing if it stops on boot (this is what it should do with no storage connected).
The mag logo. Then after a while it restarts and it loops.
Idk what to do at this point other then jumping out my window.

O and Corsair vengeance LPX 32gb
What is the exact part number and version number?

DRAM_label.jpg

slightnitpick

Proper
Nov 2, 2023
Wait. Have you actually installed an operating system yet? Just woke up with this realization given you say it's a new build.

If you haven't yet installed an operating system there will be no boot drive because you haven't yet created one. Go through the process of making a bootable USB install drive for whatever operating system you want to install. Plug that drive into your new computer. Make sure the BIOS has it listed somewhere in the order of what to boot from. And proceed from there.

At the very least, if it can boot into a live install interface, this should tell you that the physical equipment (other than the SSD) is connected properly and working.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024
Wait. Have you actually installed an operating system yet? Just woke up with this realization given you say it's a new build.

If you haven't yet installed an operating system there will be no boot drive because you haven't yet created one. Go through the process of making a bootable USB install drive for whatever operating system you want to install. Plug that drive into your new computer. Make sure the BIOS has it listed somewhere in the order of what to boot from. And proceed from there.

At the very least, if it can boot into a live install interface, this should tell you that the physical equipment (other than the SSD) is connected properly and working.
I’ve been trying but every time I try too my pc restarts and it doesn’t let me

Reactions: slightnitpick

slightnitpick

Proper
Nov 2, 2023
RMA means "return to manufacturer", but if you tested another motherboard then, as you say, it's probably not the problem.

It seems like you have enough compatible parts that you can test each component separately in another build? I'd try doing that. Take a compatible computer and swap the parts in and out one at a time until the already working computer stops working. At that point you'll know which part is the problem and can get it replaced.

May 19, 2024
Oh I forgot to add something in it lets me get into bios if I spam del but when I try to leave it restart loops

May 19, 2024
RMA means "return to manufacturer", but if you tested another motherboard then, as you say, it's probably not the problem.

It seems like you have enough compatible parts that you can test each component separately in another build? I'd try doing that. Take a compatible computer and swap the parts in and out one at a time until the already working computer stops working. At that point you'll know which part is the problem and can get it replaced.
I don’t have another computer

May 19, 2024
What does your bios say about each of your peripherals (graphics card, memory, et cetera)?

Can you boot into an operating system from a USB boot drive? Such as the one you should have to install your OS with.

Here's an 11 year old thread that has some troubleshooting tips that maybe might help: https://superuser.com/questions/556...-start-it-is-stuck-in-a-turn-on-turn-off-loop
I have done this and rn I have everything in except the graphics card. Only VGA is shining red, I can’t see anything on my screen since GPU isn’t in but it hasn’t restarted or anything