Question New WiFi Range Extender won't connect to the internet ?

Apr 15, 2024
My wifi range extender stopped working after a few years. I plugged my desktop into it with a LAN cable and it gave excellent speeds and without it I'm on wifi N which just crawls. My range extender stopped working after a few years so I bought a new one, and couldn't get it to connect to the internet. So I returned it and bought a Linksys RE6300 but It has the same problem and won't connect to the internet either. I plug it in and follow the instructions. I select it from my phone's wifi list and it says that it will not automatically connect to the internet. The auto-connect switch is turned on but it doesn't make any difference. I've never had a problem connecting these devices before with my Actiontec M1424WR router.

update the firmware from all devices
unplug the router from the wall, wait a minute, then plug it in again. Wait till internet is available and then try connect the extender.

is a MAC filter set in the Actiontec router?

Ralston18

Titan
Apr 15, 2024
The routers IP address is: 192.168.1.1
The extender's IP address is: 192.168.1.146
The LED is flashing amber.
I didn't assign a static IP address to anything. Not sure how to do that.
I unplugged the router and restarted it.
I went into the router's online manual and the only reference to MAC is that MAC authentication is disabled.

The router does have a WPS button but it has never worked to connect new devices. The user manual doesn't even mention it.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference the Range Extender manual Page 3, "Blinking Amber".

If you use a browser are you able to access the Range Extenders admin screens via 192,168.1.146?

However, if that is not a Static IP address, then the IP address can and will change.

Work through the setup procedure on Page 6 of the Range Extender's manual.

Apr 15, 2024
If my tablet is connected to range extender setup and I use the tablet's web browser go to 192.168.1.146 it says, "this site can't be reached, 192.168.1.146 refused to connect to the internet."

I can connect to the range extender setup with my tablet, but it says "not connected to internet". If I use my tablet's web browser to go to 192.168.1.1 while connected to the range extender setup it takes me to extender.linksys.com. It says it will start the setup after finding the connection. However since the range extender isn't able to connect to the internet that doesn't happen.

If I use the web browser while connected to wifi and go to 192.168.1.1 it takes me to my router.

Last edited: